Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Aug 03, 2022 @ 22:47
    Brendan Rice

Deploying an existing site to Azure

I have a v9 website that is on my developer environment.

What is the best way to get the database and the code into Azure?

Can continuous integration be done and how?

• Mads Mørch Schou 2 posts 74 karma points c-trib
    Aug 04, 2022 @ 06:01
    Mads Mørch Schou

I think it all depends on your current setup.

I assume that you are running v9 with SQL server and in this case you can export an .bacpac file from ssms (Sql Server Management Studio). The bacpac file can then be deployed to azure in a few ways the easiest way in my opinion would be to connect to your new database server resource in azure using ssms and deploying the database from there.

In regard to the code deploy you have a few options:

• FTP / SFTP
    • Publish directly from Visual studio
    • Git deploy (configured in azure portal on the webapp)
    • Deployment from most CI systems.

If you are using Github then I would recommend that you take a look at Github actions https://github.com/marketplace/actions/azure-webapp

I think the other git services have similar systems to github actions.

Also if you do not use blob storage for media yet, you properly should because its not recommended to store content data on the webapp. There is a very good guide here:

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Extending/FileSystemProviders/Azure-Blob-Storage/index-v9

• Corné Hoskam 80 posts 587 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Aug 04, 2022 @ 06:45
    Corné Hoskam

Hi Brendan,

This is very much possible, and from a business standpoint CI/CD would usually be recommended to speed up time for development & deployment!

If you're into Azure, I would recommend checking out the following documentation on setting up a CI/CD build server with Azure Devops:

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Add-ons/Umbraco-Deploy/Installing-Deploy/CICD-Pipeline/ci-cd-azure-dev-ops

For the Azure hosting itself, you would use a SQL Database instance, and an Azure Web App to deploy your application to!

Hope this information can help you get started.

~Corné Hoskam

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Aug 04, 2022 @ 19:57
    Brendan Rice

I know S2 is recommended for the DB but in your experience what's the lowest I can go for a test environment?

• Mads Mørch Schou 2 posts 74 karma points c-trib
    Aug 04, 2022 @ 20:08
    Mads Mørch Schou

I would say S1(20 dtu) it the lowest you should go for test / staging.

It is possible to run a site on S0 (10 dtu) the sites that I have tested that on gets a very long boot time after deployment / app pool reset (up to 15 minutes) and are just horribly slow. To the point where I think it is a waste of my time.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft