Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• nickornotto 397 posts 900 karma points
    Aug 17, 2022 @ 14:03
    nickornotto

Adding a new property to doc type is extremely slow (or gets stuck)

Sometimes adding a new property to a doc type, or changing order or renaming the property and then clicking on Save doc type button breaks - I mean the button displays loader forever, and I mean eg. 10-20 minutes. When I refresh the page displays various errors.

So it looks like the saving does not finish. Or simply gets stuck as I have no idea if it would ever finish.

It is unacceptable.

Basically the same issue in v9 and v10

• Owain Williams 479 posts 1410 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 17, 2022 @ 14:34
    Owain Williams

Hi Nick,

I've had a similar issue for a number of weeks now and I'm still trying to find a solution, however, I have found some error logs in my SQL Server locally which lead me to try this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/enable-the-lock-pages-in-memory-option-windows?view=sql-server-ver16

I've only made this change today, so I'm still to find if it's a permanent fix or not but thought it might help.

I'll be following this to see if anyone else has similar issues.

O.

Aug 18, 2022 @ 14:54
    Owain Williams

Update - that SQL server update hasn't fixed my instance after all. It must have just been a help that I restarted SQL server at some point.

It's as if SQL locks itself and never recovers.

Just changed the order of two properties on a Docuement Type, got the spinnning green save button and then got this error :

Unhandled exception in recurring hosted service.
    Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
     ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (258): The wait operation timed out.
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData()
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean isAsync, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, String method)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at StackExchange.Profiling.Data.ProfiledDbCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) in C:\projects\dotnet\src\MiniProfiler.Shared\Data\ProfiledDbCommand.cs:line 236
       at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Persistence.FaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction[TResult](Func`1 func)
       at NPoco.Database.ExecuteReaderHelper(DbCommand cmd)
       at NPoco.Database.ExecuteDataReader(DbCommand cmd, Boolean sync)
       at NPoco.Database.QueryImp[T](T instance, Expression`1 listExpression, Func`2 idFunc, Sql Sql, PocoData pocoData)+MoveNext()
       at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Persistence.Repositories.Implement.DocumentVersionRepository.GetCleanupPolicies()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Services.DefaultContentVersionCleanupPolicy.Apply(DateTime asAtDate, IEnumerable`1 items)+MoveNext()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Services.ContentVersionService.CleanupDocumentVersions(DateTime asAtDate)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Services.ContentVersionService.PerformContentVersionCleanup(DateTime asAtDate)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.HostedServices.ContentVersionCleanup.PerformExecuteAsync(Object state)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.HostedServices.RecurringHostedServiceBase.ExecuteAsync(Object state)
    ClientConnectionId:d5c5f643-0c7e-40c8-9e9c-f66cf222bd6a
    Error Number:-2,State:0,Class:11

O.

• Marc Goodson 2138 posts 14321 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Aug 18, 2022 @ 20:44
    Marc Goodson

Hi Owain/Nickornotto

Does it still occur if you turn off ContentVersion cleanup?

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Fundamentals/Data/Content-Version-Cleanup/

Looking at your stack trace Owain, your error, talks about a timeout to SQL during the running of the DocumentVersionRespository Application.

This service runs on a timer, so it might explain why it's intermittent, eg you might just be unlucky when you change your backoffice thing and this is running.

Probably the version cleanup is a long running task and locks SQL.

People say when they have it, they restart SQL etc, and this would clear that lock/task...

be interesting to turn it off (probably don't need it during development anyway?) - and see if you experience the problems again...

...eg I am just making a guess and possibly jumping to conclusions!!!

regards

Marc

Sep 12, 2022 @ 18:32
    nickornotto

I have turned version cleanup off and will monitor if this makes a difference.

Nov 11, 2022 @ 22:01
    nickornotto

It seems to have improved with this option off.

I am wondering whether we should have version's EnableCleanup on on the pulic site and how this will behave. As we didn't publish the site yet.

Also still the CMS is slow in places, for example when loading the page the top navigation and left panel with the content nodes takes sometimes several minutes to display. So no way to navigate until they are loaded.

Also the translations tree is very slow in expanding if we have loads of items beneath the top folders. The previous versions didn't have this problem and everything was loading pretty fast Although it happens only on the first load and then it is probably cached and expands and navigates through translation items normally.

Aug 19, 2022 @ 15:23
    Owain Williams

It looks like the issue for me was lack of memory on my laptop - when it happened this morning I opened up Task Manager and saw that my laptop was running 95% memory usage. I killed off a few programs and things save super quick again.

O.

• Biagio Paruolo 1593 posts 1824 karma points c-trib
    Nov 12, 2022 @ 06:52
    Biagio Paruolo

I see that Umbraco is more fast on SqlLite than SQL Server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft