Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Conor Howe 36 posts 137 karma points
    Aug 30, 2022 @ 12:04
    Conor Howe

Implementing search on a scaled Umbraco Azure environment

Hey everyone!

Hopefully a straight forward question 😉

We are currently looking to implement search on a few sites hosted in Azure. When looking at search we have noted a few complications that ExamineX looks to solve, but before I go off and set everything up I just wanted some clarity.

Does the out-the-box indexing/search functionality etc work correctly (if configured) in Azure on scaled and single app services?

I have read about them locking etc but before I go back and say we need to use ExamineX I just wanted clarity its the best way forward for the current environment.

Thanks in advanced!

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Aug 30, 2022 @ 20:06
    Marc Goodson

Hi Conor

There is specific configuration required when running Umbraco on an Azure Web App...

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/Server-Setup/Load-Balancing/azure-web-apps

Not just for 'Examine' - but this is often missed and results in people experiencing file locking issues..

The key reasons to consider ExamineX though is if you need your Web app to 'autoscale' based on demand..

Eg the moment your Harry Stiles tickets go on sale, and your instances scale out to cope... Each scaled out instance needs to rebuild its local copy of the Examine indexes... Which takes time.. And therefore ruins the autoscale response...

But with ExamineX the index is shared across instances backed by Azure Search... And so is instantly available to any scaled out indexes...

2nd good reason for ExamineX is performance, not so much speed of response, but one less thing running in your Web app, for a super large site that might mean being able to run it on a lower pricing tier..

But if you can justify an Examine X licence... Go for it, as it will help fund Shannon who built the Examine abstraction umbraco uses, as well as ExamineX...

Regards

Marc

• Conor Howe 36 posts 137 karma points
    Aug 31, 2022 @ 08:16
    Conor Howe

Thanks, Marc!

Really appreciate your feedback 😊 That was kind of what I thought but haven't used Search in Azure before so needed some clarity, to which your comments have gave me!

Thanks again 😎

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft