Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicolai Birkmose Oksen 3 posts 43 karma points
    Sep 05, 2022 @ 13:54
    Nicolai Birkmose Oksen

Having trouble figuring out multisite setup

Hi!

I've spent some time trying to get multisite working.

I've created 2 root items, one for each site. I've added a hostname to each root, site-a.com is set to english, site-b.com is set to danish.

The sites are two different site and not meant to variants of eachother.

The sites are in 2 different languages, danish and english. If both sites are published as english, then it works correctly, however if the danish site only has danish published, the other english site is shown.

How can I get it to work so it shows the correct site?

Kind regards Nicolai

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Sep 05, 2022 @ 21:28
    Marc Goodson

Hi Nicolai

There are two main approaches to setting up a multilingual site in umbraco...

1. Is having separate Root nodes... And Culture and Host names set for each one to route the traffic to each site...

And

1. Having one root node but allowing all the document types to 'vary by culture', with one language identified as a fallback

Option 2 can work well if it's a 1-1 relationship between the sites and its the same editor updating the language variations...

Option 1 is better when the sites have different structures

Anyway it was just when you said 'if the Danish site Only has Danish published' that made me think you might be combining both 1 and 2...eg your Danish site has an English variation but that is different to the English site... ??

So are you trying to setup multiple sites for each territory each with multilingual language variation?

Or two different language versions of the same site?

Or two different territories that happen to have different languages..

If that makes sense?

Sep 06, 2022 @ 08:21
    Nicolai Birkmose Oksen

Hi Marc

The installation contains two structurally different sites. See image below.

The .dk site has only a danish language variant. The .com site has only an english language variant.

enter image description here

When Umbraco is setup as mentioned above, the .dk site always goes til the .com site.

However if I move all the content on the .dk site from the "danish" language variant to the "english" language variant, it displays the .dk site.

Am I trying to accomplish something that is not possible?

Sep 07, 2022 @ 05:42
    Nicolai Birkmose Oksen

With the help of a friend who works professionally with Umbraco, we figured out the issue.

The .dk domain contains an æ which backoffice does not handle correctly when entered as a hostname.

By changing the domain to the converted value, it works as a charm.

Thanks for your inputs Marc!

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Sep 07, 2022 @ 06:10
    Marc Goodson

Hi Nicolai

Glad you got it sorted!

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft