Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Sep 23, 2022 @ 23:15
    alimac

How to publish an umbraco 10 site

So I tried publishing my site to a directory and then manually copying those files over to my hosting server but I seem to be running into no end of issues.

I can't find any documentation on the steps that are required for this. But just as an example: I noticed by default the publish operation does not include the 'umbraco' directory.

I added this to the csproj file using

<None Include="umbraco\**\*.*">
          <ExcludeFromSingleFile>true</ExcludeFromSingleFile>
          <CopyToPublishDirectory>Always</CopyToPublishDirectory>
        </None>

However I then get an error about accessing a directory called umbraco/TEMP/FileUploads. I change permissions to allow access to this, but then I get another exception preventing my application from starting:

Exception: Cannot acquire MainDom Umbraco.Cms.Core.Runtime.MainDom.Acquire()

I just seem to be running into no end of problems, and none of this seems to be documented. Is there any guide on how to do this? Shouldn't it just work straight out of the box?

Many thanks

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6077 karma points MVP c-trib
    Sep 24, 2022 @ 07:13
    Huw Reddick

Do you have the latest .net core 6 installed?

Sep 24, 2022 @ 09:34
    alimac

So the hosting provider I'm using uses Plesk to manage the site. I've taken a look at the ASP.Net settings for the website and the Framework version is 4.8.0.

There's no mention of whether .net core 6 is available. I'm trying to get in touch with their support to confirm.

Could this be the reason I'm getting the above errors?

EDIT: Also found out this error can occur when the site can't connect to the database. The hosting company I use uses a custom port for SQL server which has been causing me no end of difficulty in connecting to.

I can connect to it through management studio, yet using the same connection string in the appSettings files doesn't seem to work. I use:

Server=<server>,<customPort>;Database=.. and I can't seem to connect. Despite those credentials working in management studio.

Sep 24, 2022 @ 14:54
    alimac

Just figured it out! Turns out the permissions on the IIS User weren't set correctly.

So just to clarify: The only thing I had to do to publish for my hosting was ensure the Umbraco folder was included in the csproj file, and ensure permissions were correct.

I hope this saves someone else some time!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 25, 2022 @ 06:29
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Out of curiosity, what in the Umbraco directory do you need to publish? As far as I recall it's all temporary files and that's why the directory is not included by default.

Oct 05, 2022 @ 07:31
    alimac

Apologies @Sebastiaan, I don't think it is required. I think the root problem was simply the permissions

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft