Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Biagio Paruolo 1583 posts 1814 karma points c-trib
    Sep 25, 2022 @ 13:00
    Biagio Paruolo

Which Will be the future JS language for the backend?

Which Will be the future JS language for the backend? Always AngularJS? AngularJS support has officially ended as of January 2022

• Mark Drake 133 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Sep 25, 2022 @ 15:58
    Mark Drake

The Umbraco Backoffice is being rewritten and the team is using the Lit framework to write the visual components.

The goal of the rewrite is to be as framework-agnostic as possible. This means, theoretically, we can extend the Umbraco Backoffice experience using any framework(s) we are comfortable with.

I haven't heard what the plan or architecture will be for the client app, and this includes the other parts the UI library doesn't touch – filters, resources, and services. Whatever it is, I suspect it will be exposed through a JS object and have TypeScript definitions for code hints and documentation.

Here's more information:

Umbraco UI Library release – Umbraco UI components built on web standards - Read the Blog Post

Umbraco.UISource code repository

Umbraco.CMS.Backoffice - Source code repository

Edit: I've added the Backoffice repo to the list. I just found this today!

The Backoffice Extension APIRequest for Comments

Edit: I've discovered some info as how the team expects us to interact with the Backoffice from our custom components, written via any framework we wish.

Sep 25, 2022 @ 16:13
    Biagio Paruolo

Thanks. I've to try to build a simple React "component" for the backend. Have you tried a headless solution to expose data without build various API controllers? I wish to use Umbraco as a "data manager" for a back office and I've to build an external UI for the customers.

• Mark Drake 133 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Sep 25, 2022 @ 16:47
    Mark Drake

Hi Biagio,

Building a fully external UI for your customers is quite the undertaking! I wouldn't be able to advise you on how to do that easily. I understand and appreciate you want to leverage what you already know (React) to do this. As you suggested, you'll most likely need to write controllers to support you in this endeavor.

Headless

There have been a few initiatives, all falling short in my opinion, of making the core Umbraco CMS product headless. There is a project with some promise, it adds a GraphQL endpoint to Umbraco:

https://github.com/nikcio/Nikcio.UHeadless

This helps you with reading data from Umbraco, but cannot help you with modifying, saving, or removing data.

All the best!

Sep 25, 2022 @ 17:16
    Biagio Paruolo

I study a lots documents or projects on Github that try to simplify access to data in headless manner, but they seem very basic.

Check this one https://github.com/vertica-as/Vertica.Umbraco.Headless

Good that link..-:). I'll try.

Any projects that I see can edit data. The actions C-U-D must be done with custom web apis.

What I don't want is to build a back office panel, RBAC, DB abstract, etc..

PS: The very headless CMS are Strapi/Directus/KeyStoneJS6/etc...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft