Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alan Kurdmark 8 posts 99 karma points
    Oct 10, 2022 @ 11:31
    Alan Kurdmark

Only update database from v7 to v10

Hello again forum!

I'm back wondering if there is any possible way to upgrade my Umbraco database from v7 to v10 without going through v8-v9. I can't find too much documentation on solely upgrading the database so my best bet is here.

Thanks in advance!

• Roy Berris 89 posts 576 karma points c-trib
    Oct 10, 2022 @ 13:38
    Roy Berris

You can only update the database leaving the code but you'll have to go through different versions of 8 first. From 8.18 you can go directly to v10.

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Oct 11, 2022 @ 06:23
    Søren Kottal

You can use blank installs of 8 and 9 to upgrade the database. You don't need to upgrade your code in these steps.

• Markus Rytterkull 25 posts 116 karma points
    Oct 12, 2022 @ 16:04
    Markus Rytterkull

If you are using Umbraco Forms, the documentation suggests that you have to update to v9 before going to 10.

"To migrate to version 10 you should first update to the latest minor release of version 9. This will ensure you have all the database schema changes in place." https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Add-ons/Umbraco-Deploy/Upgrades/version-specific

• Phung Dao 22 posts 102 karma points
    Oct 21, 2022 @ 00:49
    Phung Dao

I tried going from 7 to 9..but even porting to 8 was a nightmare. Even after spending countless amounts of hours just dealing with the errors to prep the database and addressing the errors at each database migration attempt, there was still so much needed to be done for the templates.

Without really a full list of broken dependencies and what it was replaced with, you'll find yourself going around in circles.

Umbraco 7 database is so heavy and inefficient (client's DB is nearly 1GB)

Decided to rebuild the entire website on Umbraco 9. Even though it's a heavy task, it's been more productive and significantly faster/lighter db. I'm 80% done with project and DB export is only 30mb. With content added in, I expect it not to go over 100mb. The built in self-cleanup versions probably helps a lot with that.

• Chris Lord 58 posts 211 karma points
    Nov 11, 2022 @ 22:51
    Chris Lord

I am facing the same problem and thinking of a brand new v10 installation and the migrate the content. What did you use and how did you migrate the content in your example? Any info very much appreciated

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft