Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darren Hunter 103 posts 194 karma points
    Oct 11, 2022 @ 15:29
    Darren Hunter

Update Umbraco from 8.8.0 to 8.18.5

I am trying to upgrade a site created in umbraco 8.8.0 to 8.18.5 so that I can upgrade forms so that I can then go from version 8 of Umbraco to Version 10.

I have tried to do a manual nuget package update in Visual Studio 2022 and it seems to brake Umbraco all I get in error 500, and I have to restore both the SQL Database and the site before it works again.

Is there a process I need to do to update the 8.8.0 site to 8.18.5 so that I do not brick the site and have to go about a restore rom backup.

This is one of the last bit of the puzzle I need to work out so that we can look at moving the site from 8 to 10.

Also is there any plans from the Umbraco team to allow the Admin URL to be changed as it looks like this can't be done in version 10 any more and this seems like a security hole to me. I know you can restrict it by IP but still I can see that point that having /umbraco to access Admin can be a bit off putting.

• Markus Rytterkull 25 posts 116 karma points
    Oct 12, 2022 @ 07:19
    Markus Rytterkull

Hi Darren,

what error are you getting?

I just upgraded from 8.16 (after moving forms to database) to 9.5.2 and then to 10.2.1. It worked mostly fine, although I found a few issues I am still looking into. After upgrading to 9.5.2 I got an error regarding forms, something about duplicate key, but that magically disappeared after a restart.

Oct 12, 2022 @ 07:30
    Darren Hunter

After Upgrading it to the latest version 8 (8.18.5 from 8.8.0) I run up the site and get error 500.

When I when to restore it I found that it had bricked the DB as well.

• Markus Rytterkull 25 posts 116 karma points
    Oct 12, 2022 @ 13:33
    Markus Rytterkull

Ah. Are there not any errors at all besides 500? Nothing in the umbraco log or in the event viewer?

Oct 12, 2022 @ 13:39
    Darren Hunter

I have managed to fix it after removing the custom back office url and a some changes to the web.config file,

Also this help a lot as well https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-resolve-the-error-the-service-is-unavailable-when-trying-to-upgrade-umbraco/

In the end got it from 8.8.0 to 8.18.5.

Still need to check all the custom codes working but the main reason this was upgraded is I need the latest version of Umbraco forms in version 8 and to get that I needed to upgrade, so I can attempt to get the forms data in to version 10.

This was a bit of a tangent on my version 10 upgrade quest but it needed to be done and now I have documented it make it a little easier in the future so all in all a good learning experience one can say.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft