Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Clancy 63 posts 132 karma points
    Oct 14, 2022 @ 09:27
    Chris Clancy

Best approach to creating article page content without macros in Umb v10

Hi,

We are moving over to Umb10 and making use of Blocklist for many of our page layouts - replacing grid type layouts used heavily in v7.

One of the most popular pages we have to update is a typical article/blog type page. Currently the main 'body text' section of a page is a standard full featured RTE and the editors make use of a few macros to add images, blockquotes, iframes etc. They seem to enjoy using this method to create pages and I'm not sure that using blocklist will give them the same simple editing process, where they can do almost everything within one RTE field and easily scroll up and down to make changes. To switch to a blocklist approach, editors would create each element separately e.g. copy block, image block, copy block, quote block and so on. We still need to demo this approach to the editors but I wanted to find out what other Umbraco users were doing for page layouts like these and if they had been able to create the typical RTE/macro type of blog page without using macros.

• Huw Reddick 1750 posts 6115 karma points MVP c-trib
    Oct 14, 2022 @ 09:46
    Huw Reddick

I would recomend the new BlockGrid editor for this.

Instead of creating macros create an element with properties to replace any macro parameters, then just create a template to render the blockgrid item, I did this to replace all my macros, and added them as content items in the BlockGrid

• Chris Clancy 63 posts 132 karma points
    Oct 14, 2022 @ 13:56
    Chris Clancy

Thanks Huw. I need to investigate the BlockGrid as it is new to me. But I don't need a complex page layout and all pages need to look pretty much the same. I think if we go down the blocklist/grid road, it will need to be very limited for the type of layout we want to achieve.

• Huw Reddick 1750 posts 6115 karma points MVP c-trib
    Oct 14, 2022 @ 14:31
    Huw Reddick

You can basically make it as limited or expansive as you wish, it just takes a little while to get used to it :D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft