Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Oct 24, 2022 @ 17:39
    Meni

Getting errors while try to convert code from dynamic to strongly typed

Hi, I try to convert my code from dynamic to strongly typed. I'm using V7 and in my web.config I have:

<add key="Umbraco.ModelsBuilder.Enable" value="true" />
    <add key="Umbraco.ModelsBuilder.ModelsMode" value="PureLive" />

(I also verified it appears on the developer section of the back office)

In my partial view code (Partial View Macro Files), I tried to change as follow, from:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage

@{  
       string myWebsiteMagazineCategories = CurrentPage.myWebsiteMagazineCategory; //get the checked item from the checkbox list

To:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage

@{  
       string myWebsiteMagazineCategories = Model.Content.myWebsiteMagazineCategory; //get the checked item from the checkbox list

And from:

var magazine_node = Umbraco.Content(MagazineID);

To:

var magazine_node = Umbraco.TypedContent(MagazineID);

But now I get the following error:

Compiler Error Message: CS1061: 'IPublishedContent' does not contain a definition for 'myWebsiteMagazineCategory' and no extension method 'myWebsiteMagazineCategory' accepting a first argument of type 'IPublishedContent' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Any idea?

Thanks a lot !

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Oct 27, 2022 @ 19:08
    Marc Goodson

HI Meni

In a Partial View Macro then the underlying model is of type PartialViewMacroModel

A Macro can be placed on any page

So it won't be specifically 'typed' to a specific type of Modelsbuilder generated Model, as these match to DocumentTypes.

Model.Content does represent a strongly typed IPublishedContent object representing the CurrentPage the macro is on, but without strongly typed access to properties:

So you can access properties generically via:

string myWebsiteMagazineCategories = Model.Content.GetPropertyValue<string>("myWebsiteMagazineCategory");

If you knew for sure your macro was only ever on a NewsArticle page then you could cast the Model.Content item to that particular generated modelsbuilder type eg

var currentNewsArticle = Model.Content.As<NewsArticle>();

and then you would have access to the strongly type properties generated by modelsbuilder and be able to access them via

currentNewsArticle.MyWebsiteMagazineCategories;

if that helps!

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft