Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Satish 20 posts 90 karma points
    Oct 27, 2022 @ 16:51
    Satish

Umbraco Web Server migration from windows 2012 to Windows 2019

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance to migrate my Umbraco Web server from windows 2012 to windows 2019. We are not migrating database but just the web server. Also, our current Umbraco version is 7.4.3 and we will be going with one of the latest version on 2019 windows server.

Please advise or any documentation where I can look at and plan for migration.

thanks

• Yakov Lebski 550 posts 2114 karma points
    Oct 27, 2022 @ 18:42
    Yakov Lebski
    1. Copy the site folder
    2. Create web site in IIS and set to the folder from (1)
    3. Set permission to the application pool
    Oct 31, 2022 @ 13:48
    Satish

Thanks Yakov, I will give it a try.

Dec 16, 2022 @ 17:05
    Satish

Hello Yakov, I have copied the folders. Do we need to move App_Data folder as well? Logs folder may not be required I guess.

Dec 16, 2022 @ 22:21
    Yakov Lebski

It depends on website implementation, generally not needed, for example, TEMP folder can be generated on the first start

Nov 08, 2022 @ 13:56
    Satish

Is there any detailed document which can help me with migrating Umbraco 7 on windows 2012 to umbraco 9 on windows 2019? I am new to umbraco so looking for details steps.

Nov 08, 2022 @ 18:25
    Yakov Lebski

Migrate Umbraco 7 to 9 (I think the better option is 10) it can maybe very easy or may be very complicated, it very depends on your site

you can find the general document regarding upgrade https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/upgrading/general

Nov 08, 2022 @ 21:23
    Satish

I looked at this doc but this is for in-place upgrade I guess. we are currently using Umbraco V7 on windows 2012 and wants to move to V9 or V10 on windows 2019 server. Our Db will remain same and no change there.

Nov 08, 2022 @ 21:38
    Yakov Lebski

Umbraco has a big changes from 7 to 10, t you should make the upgrade path

Upgrade Umbraco: from 7 to the latest 7 from the latest 7 to the latest 8 from the latest 8 - to the latest 10

Code upgrade to Umbraco 10

of course, you need to be sure that all editors/plugins are supported in Umbraco 10 or you need upgrade as well

Nov 08, 2022 @ 21:45
    Satish

Thank you Yakov. Since we have to move to different windows server (2019), can we just install V10 on new 2019 windows server and them migrate?

that is our requirement and looking for process or steps to do that migration.

Nov 08, 2022 @ 21:54
    Yakov Lebski

The moving server is not dependent on Umbraco upgrade, you can move your existing 7 Umbraco and after try to deal with upgrade

• Alina 2 posts 72 karma points hq
    Dec 20, 2022 @ 15:51
    Alina

Hi Satish, I was able to get a site up and running on a new server on windows 2019 and also to get an existing site working on it:

-> First I have followed these steps to get my windows 2019 on a new VM: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/quick-create-portal *Note here: for the last part, if you are not able to “View the IIS welcome page” you might need to add an inbound and outbound port rule for the “Destination port ranges” to 80

-> Then I have followed these steps to get a new v7 site installation up and running in IIS: https://www.paulrgriffiths.co.uk/blog/installing-umbraco-7-part-3-setting-up-iis-file-permissions/

-> If you get an error for “Config Error: This configuration section cannot be used at this path” you can just follow these steps: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9794985/config-error-this-configuration-section-cannot-be-used-at-this-path.

Then if you get any other errors due to permissions or so, you might need to add permission for your IIS site by creating a new user called “network services” and allow all permissions.

-> Once have the above on place and have a new installation up an running on your (at least) “Default Web Site” in IIS, then you can copy all the content with folders from your existing site and move it in the one you can just setup and you are good to go.

So in this case I would recommend that you try this on the “Default Web Site” in IIS to get a new install of Umbraco 7.4.3 and once you get it up and running, then you can just copy all your content from the existing site from the other server to the main folder of the “Default Web Site” in IIS (in the new server) and all should be working as expected.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft