Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 3 posts 93 karma points
    Nov 23, 2022 @ 14:30
    Stephen

Nodes with the same template are all copying the same content?

Hi folks,

Pages on my site that have the same template are all copying the content of one of the nodes, despite the fact that they're totally different nodes with totally different content that just happen to share a template.

(So, for example, if we've got Widget Purchasing, Gadget Purchasing and Oddment Purchasing, all as ostensibly separate bits of content with separate node IDs and separate URLs, and Gadget Purchasing is the most recent one, going to mysite.com/widget-purchasing gets you the widget-purchasing URL up in the top bar, but the text that's displayed on the page is all about gadget purchasing.)

This is happening across multiple fairly different templates, so I'm assuming it's not some sort of bug in one particular template or ViewModel. Text, images, child items, it all gets loaded from whichever node using that particular template was most recently published.

Even more curiously, this only happens when I am not logged in to the Umbraco back office section. As soon as I log in, if I open the site in another tab, everything looks fine - until I log out, and it goes back to being broken. This is making diagnosing and fixing the issue a lot harder.

Does anyone have any advice? What's going on here?

EDIT: Update, I thought previously it was the most recently published node that was always the one that was duplicated. That actually doesn't seem to be the case; currently one of the sets of duplicates is of a page that's not the most recently published one. Which means I (and you all) have even less info to go on, I'm afraid.

Additional update, it appears to be 'whichever page is first visited after the cache is invalidated'. I recycled the IIS application pool and the duplicate pages changed to be, for each template, whatever was the first page I visited afterwards.

(The Umbraco version we're on is 7.15.7 - I know, I know, but I don't have the authority to just upgrade without a specific hard justification. If someone can give me a 'this is a specific known bug in this particular version, upgrading will definitely fix it' I can take that to my boss, but I can't upgrade just on the off-chance that it might fix this.)

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 24, 2022 @ 05:42
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Stephen,

I've seen this behavior on sites where multiple IIS instances were setup to point to the same folder on disk - could this be the case?

/Chriztian

Nov 24, 2022 @ 09:59
    Stephen

Hi Chriztian,

There are multiple IIS sites on the server, but I've checked and they definitely all point to different folders.

There are multiple ports bound on the IIS bindings for the site, though - could that be causing similar issues, even if we're not accessing the site via using those specific port numbers in the URL?

Thanks, Stephen

EDIT: Nope, cutting the site bindings back to just one https and one http binding has not resolved the issue.

Dec 01, 2022 @ 14:56
    Stephen

UPDATE:

While a precise solution to this problem has not been found, we've solved the issue overall by turning off caching altogether. A number of different caching-related flags were set without any apparent effect - the one that appeared to make the difference for us was, in the Web.config file, setting:

<system.web>
        <caching>
          <outputCache enableOutputCache="false" />
        </caching>
    </system.web>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft