Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• René 3 posts 83 karma points
    Nov 23, 2022 @ 18:05
    René

EF Core, DBContext and Umbraco 10

I have run into a problem when i am using "Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServer"

I add my DBContext like this to startup

"services.AddDbContext<DataContext>(options => options.UseSqlServer(_config.GetConnectionString("umbracoDbDSN")));"

Then umbraco DB connection fails and Umbraco returns to showing install page any thoughts on why ?

I need to access custom tables with EF

• Lotte Pitcher 49 posts 242 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Nov 24, 2022 @ 18:36
    Lotte Pitcher

Hi René,

I know I'm not solving your actual problem but could you use a separate SQL database for EF? That was the approach I took and managed to get things wired up ok!

Just a thought :)

Lotte

Nov 25, 2022 @ 12:45
    René

Any ideas are welcome :)

so yes i could use a setup where i just use another DB to store my custom tables in.

• Lotte Pitcher 49 posts 242 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Nov 25, 2022 @ 17:05
    Lotte Pitcher

There are people who believe that using a separate database for non umbraco data is the safer / right approach to take anyway! At least then you know that Umbraco migrations and EF migrations would never have any conflict. Good luck :)

Nov 25, 2022 @ 17:31
    René

I actually thought you had a solution you wanted to share?, because I still have problems using the

"Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServer"

package, when I install that package it's a bit like there is a conflict and umbraco doesn't know how to use the UmbracoDBDSN connection string and goes directly to the install umbraco page.

so do you have a running example where you connect to two DB´s ? if so can you tell me how you did it without this "conflict" using "Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServer"

• Biagio Paruolo 1583 posts 1814 karma points c-trib
    Nov 26, 2022 @ 17:53
    Biagio Paruolo

Hi,

you have to use a separate connection string and context for your EF and you have to use the same Umbraco package version of Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServer.

• Karl Lee 4 posts 77 karma points
    Apr 24, 2023 @ 12:11
    Karl Lee

I just came across the same issue. I resolved by adding the following references in the project file, Item group:

<PackageReference Include="Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.Abstractions" Version="7.0.0" />
    <PackageReference Include="Microsoft.Extensions.Options" Version="7.0.0" />

The build status told me which packages to reference.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft