Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Lord 58 posts 211 karma points
    Nov 25, 2022 @ 09:13
    Chris Lord

Content Migration v7 > v10

Hi, I need to migrate content from a v7 umbraco site to a new v10 install. What is the best approach for this ?

Will uSync work i.e. will the structure of the data being exported from the v7 work with v10? I need to migrate content, media and members.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd really appreciate some advice

Cheers

Chris

• Yakov Lebski 549 posts 2113 karma points
    Nov 25, 2022 @ 14:06
    Yakov Lebski

It depends on your website, you can do regular migration

• 7-> latest 7
    • latest 7-> latest 8
    • latest 8-> latest 10
  • Chris Mahoney 235 posts 447 karma points
    Dec 06, 2022 @ 19:54
    Chris Mahoney

There's a migration bug in 8.6 and newer (I can't remember the details), so when I recently upgraded a site I had to go from 7 to 8.5.5, and then from 8.5.5 to 10.

I'm not sure whether the bug affects every site so this may be a non-issue in this particular case, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 25, 2022 @ 16:46
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Chris,

Not sure if you've seen the newly released uSync Migrations tool?

https://github.com/Jumoo/uSyncMigrations

It will handle the majority of the v7 to v8/v9/v10 migrations, e.g. legacy property-editors to the latest built-in ones.

Out of the box it wont do advanced stuff (e.g. Grid to Block List), but it does have event notification hooks, giving you access to the raw XML...

https://github.com/Jumoo/uSyncMigrations/blob/4.0.0-beta1/MyMigrations/MyMigrationComposer.cs#L40

...at that point, you could do whatever you want to manipulate property values, etc.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
    - Lee

• Per Bolmstedt 84 posts 380 karma points
    Dec 05, 2022 @ 16:46
    Per Bolmstedt

If you upgrade your 7 in-place to 10 first, maybe it would be easier to migrate to the new 10 install, since same Umbraco version and same uSync version etc.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft