Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robin Vaughan 3 posts 73 karma points
    Nov 29, 2022 @ 18:47
    Robin Vaughan

Website down : A connection string is configured but Umbraco cannot connect to the database

I have inherited an Umbraco website to assist and develop. Unfortunately, the owner had lost the password. It's on Azure and no passord retrieval. I've spent the last few days working on getting into Azure and finally managed to get into the SQL database today. I stupidly reset the admin password on the User table directly through a query and now the site is down with the error:

Umbraco cannot start. A connection string is configured but Umbraco cannot connect to the database.

Any help, greatly appreciated

Thank you

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6077 karma points MVP c-trib
    Nov 30, 2022 @ 08:40
    Huw Reddick

This sounds more like a database permission issue not an Umbraco password problem. The umbraco admin password is not related to you connecting to the database.

Are you able to connect to the database using the settings in your umbraco connection string?

• Robin Vaughan 3 posts 73 karma points
    Nov 30, 2022 @ 15:14
    Robin Vaughan

Thanks Huw

Full service restored, as far as the website. Just now a case of trying to login to Umbraco. I can now see and amend the User table but struggling to get into the backend. I've looked at some of the guides, including amending the web.config file but no joy!

Thank you

Robin

• Lindow 154 posts 1301 karma points
    Dec 01, 2022 @ 21:28
    Lindow

If you have CRUD access to the DB then you can edit the users table and change the password of one of the existing users.

First, you'll need to create a fresh project on the same version you're on right now and create a user with a password.

You'll then be able to grab the hashed password value from the new DB and use it in the one from the site you can't log in to.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft