Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• charlie black 33 posts 106 karma points
    Dec 05, 2022 @ 21:43
    charlie black

umbraco backoffice: Content section: Culture and Hostname

I cannot find documentation about what use the Cullture and Hostname feature is. Does it work in conjunction with the Link to document property.

We use umbraco to create custom typed pages. Not full complete pages that you can look at.

So if I am in the backoffice looking at any content node, when I see the Link to document, I would not expect to be able to go and see a page.

That's not the way we use umbraco.

But is the Link to document supposed to take you to some place where you can view a finished page?

At the least can someone send me to a link to fully explain how the Link to document is supposed to work?

Maybe I should add too that we run umbraco as a headless service; our actual website makes service calls to pull content from umbraco. It is hosted completely separate from umbraco itself.

Thank you

• Conor Howe 36 posts 137 karma points
    Dec 06, 2022 @ 07:06
    Conor Howe

There are different types of document types, so you may be wanting to use an element type which doesn't need a template etc.

This should allow you to store the data and not have to worry about any presentation 😀

Not sure how they work exactly in a headless app and maybe someone else can weigh in on that.

The element types are typically used for content, but may be an alternative here

• Luuk Peters 82 posts 322 karma points
    Dec 07, 2022 @ 11:30
    Luuk Peters

The culture and hostnames is used to set a node as the root for a specific domain including it's language.

Lets say we have a content structure like this:

enter image description here

So let's say you run Umbraco on domain https://domain.nl and https://domain.com. When you don't set ANY cultures and hostnames, and you call the domain, it will return the first node from the content tree. The URL for the homepage would become https://domain.com/page-content/home.

But we usually want home to be the root of our website. By settings the domain domain.com on culture and hostnames on the home node, we're telling Umbraco that when a request comes in at domain.com, that the start node will be the home node. We can also set *domain.nl as well for Dutch and Umbraco will know that it should take the Dutch version when a request at the .nl domein comes in.

In this case the URL's start at the start node. And like you said: the 'link to page' will reflect this.

By setting cultures and hostnames we can create multiple websites in one Umbraco solution and let Umbraco automatically switch to the correct language based on the incoming domain.

Because you are running Umbraco headless, it depends if you need to set culture and hostnames at all. If you call Umbraco based on URL, you should probably set it.

I hope it's a bit clear this way :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft