Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• TJ 2 posts 92 karma points
    Dec 07, 2022 @ 11:36
    TJ

Reskin - Implement a new version of Templates whilst keeping old existing in place for pages untouched

Hi,

I have been tasked with implementing a new set of designs for an Umbraco 8 website. I'm new specifically to Umbraco and come from more of a frontend background.

Would like to leave the pages using the old existing templates but implement a new V2 for example. This would allow me to change the template over one at a time for each page as I work through. Therefore leaving a fully working version in place for the untouched pages using the old version with no broken features.

I tried simply carrying out what I thought would be the correct steps below but get the following error.

Server Error in '/' Application. Cannot bind source content type XYZ.UmbracoDocTypeModels.PageName to model type XYZ.Common.ViewModels.PageNameViewModel.

Created as an example the following under Settings > Templates:

PageNameTemplate.cshtml (original) PageNameTemplateV2.cshtml (new) [copied source from original to keep simple for now]

Under Document Types > RootDocType > TemplatePage:

Added the PageNameTemplateV2 to the Allowed Templates.

Made a small comment non breaking change to the source for PageNameTemplateV2.cshtml to output in HTML .

Under Content I chose MyWorkingPage and changed the template from PageNameTemplate to PageNameTemplateV2.

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoViewPage<PageNameViewModel>
    @{
        Layout = "PageNameTemplateV2.cshtml";

var pageName = Model.UmbracoModel as XYZ.UmbracoDocTypeModels.PageName;

}
    <!--TESTING-->

Umbraco seems to want to force the Model Name to match which does not for V2.

Is there are way I can work around this or am I trying to go about this right way and there is another recommended method?

Many thanks.

• TJ 2 posts 92 karma points
    Dec 07, 2022 @ 12:39
    TJ

I think I might be onto something as I have it working but with duplicated code.

I am hijacking within the controller but essentially I have had to duplicate the existing extensive code from the existing ActionResult into the new one which seems a bit bloated.

But the item which helped me get to here is:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/reference/routing/custom-controllers/

Still would like to know if I am going about this the correct way or if there is a much simpler way to have 2 templates for the reskin. The bloated code seems a bit smelly to me.

Many thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft