Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 13 posts 113 karma points
    Dec 20, 2022 @ 15:47
    Dan

Is it possible to migrate existing site on Umbraco 10 to a Linux based server

Hello,

My customers insist to move the site to Linux based server. Is it possible to migrate existing SQL Server database to Linux?

Maybe you can share with me some advice?

• Yakov Lebski 554 posts 2118 karma points
    Dec 20, 2022 @ 15:49
  • Dan 13 posts 113 karma points
    Dec 20, 2022 @ 16:11
    Dan

I've already read this article. Thank you! Maybe someone will share with me their experience in project relocation. The main question for me - is it worth it to begin?

• Yakov Lebski 554 posts 2118 karma points
    Dec 20, 2022 @ 16:39
    Yakov Lebski

I running several projects on Linux-based docker, and it works fine. SQL Server I believe should not be an issue, if you want to make a simple test just install it on 2 dockers (one for the website, one for SQL Server)

• Luuk Peters 82 posts 322 karma points
    Dec 21, 2022 @ 12:39
    Luuk Peters

Umbraco 10 is fully supported on Linux, just like SQL Server and .NET6, so you should be good. I general you won't notice any difference, except that Linux usually is faster and it's usually also cheaper to run (for instance in Azure).

There are two things that could potentially cause issues in your code:

• If you are using file paths, Linux and Windows use an opposite /. So if you are building file paths manually in a string without using Path.Combine, the file might not load in Linux.

• Also when it comes to file paths; Linux is case sensitive, Windows isn't.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft