Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Jones 17 posts 148 karma points
    Jan 02, 2023 @ 19:45
    Tom Jones

Edit route for each blog post

Hi folks, I'm new to Umbraco (but not to .NET or MVC) and I'm wondering what the best approach to adding a subdirectory to the controller routing would be.

I have a Blog document type which uses a BlogController, with an Index action which returns a list of posts (BlogPost document types) to the route ~/blog.

I also have a BlogPostController with an Index action which returns the content of a particular post, with each post currently navigating to ~/post-name, however I want each of these posts to be found at ~/blog/post-name.

In standard MVC I would simply have a BlogController which has two actions, one for the Index (the list view), and another for an individual blog page with a [Route("{controller}/post-name")] attribute over the action, but with Umbraco I presume the document types need to have their own controllers due to standard naming/routing conventions? Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Can this be achieved by changing something in the back office (or on the controllers/Startup.cs), rather than using URL rewrites/redirects?

• Lewis Smith 208 posts 617 karma points c-trib
    Jan 03, 2023 @ 09:32
    Lewis Smith

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the world of Umbraco!

You should be able to achieve this with umbraco custom routes, see: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/reference/routing/custom-routes/

On Initialize you run MapUmbracoRoute.

You can check out the "real world example" - this covers you for a dynamic URL, so if a user were to change the url of the blogs folder as an example.

Lewis

Jan 06, 2023 @ 15:06
    Tom Jones

Hi Lewis, thanks for the reply.

This documentation refers to v7-8 and mentions using a RenderMvcController, I'm using v10 and my controllers inherit from RenderController for route hijacking.

The two options documented in the updated documentation mention that the controller can't inherit from RenderController.

• Yakov Lebski 554 posts 2119 karma points
    Jan 06, 2023 @ 19:21
    Yakov Lebski

Umbraco should control URLs for posts and any pages in CMS. by default, Umbraco build url hierarchy

root = "/"

-page = "/page"

--subpage1 ="/page/subpage1"

you also can control url if you need it

Jan 06, 2023 @ 20:23
    Tom Jones

Your reply led me to check the back office document type/content hierarchy - Blog was at the same level as Home (root), so BlogPost items were also being created at the root, rather than under Blog.

So I recreated Blog as a child of Home, then added a BlogPost, making the route ~/blog/post-name.

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft