Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Jan 22, 2023 @ 20:18
    Meni

504.0 GatewayTimeout when migrating to umbraco 8

Hi, I try to migrate my V7.15.7 website to 8.1.x

I followed the guides / documentation / blog posts.

I made sure there are no Obsolete document-types.

Then I installed the Pre-migration health checks and it says it ready for upgradeenter image description here

Then I installed a fresh new Umbraco 8.5.5 website on my ftp, and after I logged in and made sure it works (the new empty 8.5.5 website) I logged out and changed the connection string in web.config to my old 7.15.7 database.

It started the migration process but after few minutes I got 504.0 GatewayTimeout

Then I tried the process again and after few minutes I got again 504.0 GatewayTimeout So I tried to increase the Connection Timeout from 3600 to 33600, Connection Timeout=33600 Didn't help

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Server=xxxxxx;Data Source=xxxxx;Initial Catalog=xxxx;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=xxxxxxxxx;MultipleActiveResultSets=False;Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=False;Connection Timeout=33600;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

What else should I do?? It's been almost a week that I my website is unavailable. I try to migrate to 8, but it seems so complicated ... So annoying ..

What's the reason I'm getting the 504.0 GatewayTimeout ?

I'm using Azure to host my website.

With my other websites that running on wordpress it's so easy ... Even when I once migrated one website from Drupal to wordpress it was smooth and easy ...

How can I migrate my 7.15.7 to 8 ?????

Thanks for your help .

• Yakov Lebski 554 posts 2118 karma points
    Jan 22, 2023 @ 22:29
    Yakov Lebski

The easiest way to make an upgrade is to make it on the local machine. I believe there is no reason to upgrade to 8.5.5 is a better way to migrate to higher versions like 8.17 or 8.18

If it is Azure web apps, you can use all DTU on the SQL server, which will break your migration.

Jan 23, 2023 @ 02:59
    Meni

Hi, thanks.

How do I make it on the local machine?

I installed a fresh Umbraco 8.5.5 locally (reason I installed 8.5.5 is because "A migration was introduced in v8.6 which can break the migration process")

Then I downloaded my database from Azure as .bacpac file.

Now my question is how do I connect to the local .bacpac database?

Every time when I open the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio it tries to connect to the database on Azure: enter image description here

Then when I put the password it will connect to the database on Azure: enter image description here

But, as you suggested, I want to migrate the local .bacpac file - so how do I do it?

1. How do I connect on the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to the local .bacpac file ?

2. How do I connect in the Web.config to the local database ? What should I put in the connectionString?

Jan 23, 2023 @ 03:14
    Yakov Lebski
    1. export database from azure
    2. copy .bacpac to the local machine
    3. connect to local SQL server
    4. import .bacpac the on local SQL server
    5. change connection on local website to local SQL server
    Jan 24, 2023 @ 05:58
    Meni

תודה :)

Thanks! I was finally able to do it and I was able to migrate to 8, then to 9, then to 10, then to 11.1

Thanks a lot for your help.

Just one comment: 3. connect to local SQL server

I had to install a local SQL server, which I found a very good tutorial here:

Create Local SQL Server database https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43355971/create-local-sql-server-database

• asad 39 posts 113 karma points
    Sep 04, 2023 @ 13:20
    asad

Hi Neni,

I m trying to upgrade from umbraco 7,15.10 to umbraco 8.1.4 . I did same steps first update from umbraco 7.13.2 to 7.15.10 and then to 8. But when i try to udpate it on Umbraco 8, I m facing timeout issue. Can you help me out on this ? I need to sort this asap as i dont have much time now.

Regards Asad Mehood

Jan 24, 2023 @ 12:55
    Yakov Lebski

You are welcome, you can skip 9, from 8->10, probably to 11 (not tried yet)

Jan 24, 2023 @ 21:42
    Meni

I tried. Didn’t work. Had to do 8-9, 9 - 10, 10 - 11

Jan 24, 2023 @ 22:28
    Yakov Lebski

for sure you can skip 9, latest 8->10 will work

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft