Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gavin Williams 48 posts 221 karma points
    Jan 27, 2023 @ 15:59
    Gavin Williams

umbraco.storageproviders.azureblob with v11

I'm in the process of re-engineering an existing v8 site into a fresh empty v11 solution. I've incrementally upgraded the original v8 database thru v9, then 10 to 11.1.0 and pointed my v11 data source at it and all is well, I can see all the content in the backend. I've re-engineered the homepage and can render that page ok. So my next step is to install the blob storage package and point at my existing blob storage account, but none of the images are loading. I've followed the instructions here: https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/extending/filesystemproviders/azure-blob-storage so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Tbh I was expecting it to just work, but in the logs I notice on startup there's still an entry for "Creating the media store", and if I remove the media folder under wwwroot it gets recreated on site start. So it sounds like the site is still trying to use local storage. Is there some other step I've missed? I've put the blob settings (conn string and container) in appsettings, and I've added the .AddAzureBlobMediaFileSystem() line in startup.cs.

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6077 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jan 29, 2023 @ 10:28
    Huw Reddick

Hi Gavin,

If you upload a new image from the backoffice does it get uploaded to your blob storage?

I have just set up azure storage for my v11.1.0 test site and all appears to be working as expected.

Jan 30, 2023 @ 14:43
    Gavin Williams

Hi Huw.

Is there something weird going on here? If I add a new image it displays in the site but does NOT get uploaded to blob storage - I presume it's been pulled from the umbraco/data/temp/mediacache folder? To discount my migrated site database as possible cause, I've spun up a new v11.1.0 site and installed the starter kit and blob storage, then pointed at my Azure blob account. Same thing happens, image renders locally but nothing in blob and no errors in the logs.

Thanks

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6077 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jan 30, 2023 @ 16:00
    Huw Reddick

Something odd definitely going on, I simply added the azureblob storage stuff to my site and uploaded a new image, I checked my blob storage container and the image is there as expected

Jan 30, 2023 @ 16:03
    Gavin Williams

ok Huw thanks for checking. I'm going to park this one for now as I suspect there's some networking shenanigans afoot at our organisation.

• Conor Howe 36 posts 137 karma points
    Jan 30, 2023 @ 17:31
    Conor Howe

Have you checked the permissions / firewalls on the storage account and container or is it public?

If it's not public it may be security that is not allowing you to connect and its falling back to using local file storage

Jan 31, 2023 @ 08:51
    Gavin Williams

It works fine to the same storage account from our old v8 solution (obv a different nuget package involved), although the v8 solution localhost port is different to the v11 solution. Will run that by our networking team in case there's any rules in place. Thanks.

Apr 06, 2023 @ 11:58
    Gavin Williams

Ok so finally unpicked the puzzle of this one. Under the old v8 package the media files would get uploaded to a folder within the root of the container. so for my "media" blob container the file would live at /media/arbitrary folder name/image.jpg

The v11 package appears to insist on placing them in a media subfolder on the container so now it expects /media/media/arbitrary folder name/image.jpg hence why none of my existing images appear to load.

As the ContainerName parameter is mandatory I can't leave it blank, so as I see it I have two options: 1. move all the existing media folders into the media folder in my container 2. clone and customise the package (not keen)

Is there an option 3?

• Francis Benyah 35 posts 111 karma points
    Sep 29, 2023 @ 08:24
    Francis Benyah

This is probably old but we went with moving (copy over first and deleted later) all the media items into a folder called media which we created inside the container. This has been the approach we have always used with various versions of azure blob storage and umbraco and as a practice within our organization only folders are allowed in the root of the media folder.

Customizing the package was not an option as it will mean future updates we will need possibly to make more customized changes.

• Gurumurthy 52 posts 125 karma points
    May 03, 2023 @ 07:47
    Gurumurthy

Hi,

Any other solutions for this, while moving from v8 to v11, ?

All the media is under the {{container-name}}, but v11 azure blog expects media to be under {{container-name}}/media/{{media-code}}/image.jpg

How to configure v11 to fetch media directly from container ?

Thanks,

• Gurumurthy 52 posts 125 karma points
    Jun 30, 2023 @ 06:54
    Gurumurthy

Hello All,

Some how I have managed to load media which all migrated from v8 to v11, after this, the image crops are not working and no cache folder is getting created in Azure blob .

Any inputs or suggestions on this ?

Thanks, Gurumurthy J V

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft