Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shralp 6 posts 76 karma points
    Feb 08, 2023 @ 14:53
    Shralp

How do I create a standardized Blog Post template?

I'm on Umbraco 10.3,2 and using a uSkinned design theme (Skye). First time user so still learning the ins and outs

As part of my install I got default document types created for Blog as:

• Blog Author
    • Blog Authors Folder
    • Blog Categories Folder
    • Blog Posts Folder

and under Web Pages I got:

• Blog Category Page
    • Blog Landing Page
    • Blog Post
    • Blog RSS

I'm fine with how the main blog listing page looks, I can specify the layout of those and it looks good.

the issue I have is with the individual blog post pages, when you create one you need to go in and add the main content from scratch every time. So say I want all my blog posts to look the same, 2 pods, one on left with image, one on right with text. Is there some way to predefine that template so that when the user creates a new Blog Post they have those two fields to fill in (image + text).

thanks for any help you can provide, articles tutorials etc. I'm just overwhelmed with all the features so I'm not even sure what I should be looking for!

• Paul Daly (uSkinned.net) 40 posts 393 karma points c-trib
    Feb 08, 2023 @ 15:22
    Paul Daly (uSkinned.net)

Hi there

Paul from uSkinned here :-)

We like to offer as much freedom and flexibility to users, no matter if they're creating a new theme design, page or blog post. This is why you can build up your content with modular components and pods in the block list editor.

However, Umbraco has an awesome built-in feature called "Content Templates". You can create templates in the Content area for some of your more commonly used layouts, such as Blog Posts.

Here's a guide we wrote to help you out: https://uskinned.net/support/how-to-create-a-reusable-content-template/

I hope that helps! :-)

Thanks

Paul from uSkinned

Feb 08, 2023 @ 18:28
    Shralp

Hey Paul, thanks for the link that looks promising.

I followed steps 1-5 and I do indeed get it added as a Content Template (I named it Blog Post Details fyi). And if I try to add a new page under my Home root, it will say 'Page' then upon choosing Page I see my content template as an option so it works for that scenario. But I don't think I want to create a new page everytime I make a blog post, rather I just want to have a single template and save the details of what is entered (in my case choosing an image and adding some text) to the CMS database.

In my Content section this is what I see I have Blog as a node under Home root, under Blog there is a node called Posts, that's where I can create new blog posts and where I want to use the template but can't figure out how to wire that up so that when I click Create Blog Post button I see the template fields?

Blog --> Posts -->View/Create

Feb 09, 2023 @ 10:49
    Paul Daly (uSkinned.net)

Hi there

If you are creating a Content Template for a Blog post then you first need to create a Blog post.

— Follow this guide on how to create a Blog Post: https://uskinned.net/support/how-to-add-or-edit-a-blog-post/

— Follow this guide on how to add components and pods to your Blog Post: https://uskinned.net/support/how-to-add-or-edit-a-component-to-a-page-or-blog-post/

Please note, before you can create the post as a Content Template, you must first save the post.

— Follow this guide on how to create a Content Template: https://uskinned.net/support/how-to-create-a-reusable-content-template/ (Make sure to note, you should do this on a Post, not a Page.)

Please see the screenshots at the end.

Once you have, when you click to "Create a Blog Post" you will get an option to use a Blank post or your Content Template Post.

Thanks

Paul from uSkinned

enter image description here

Feb 09, 2023 @ 14:59
    Shralp

Awesome Paul, that worked great!

One small thing to add in case someone else stumbles across this post...once you create that Blog Post template and publish it, it will show up as an option when creating a new blog post but it will also show up as an actual blog post in the Blog Landing Page (displays the list of blog posts). To hide it you just select it under Posts and choose 'Unpublish' at the top, that removes it from the list but you can still use the template, cheers!

Feb 09, 2023 @ 15:48
    Paul Daly (uSkinned.net)

That's great to hear — Happy to help!

Good point. Once you've set up your Content Template, you can then Unpublish or even Delete the initial post you created as a test. The initial test post does not need to remain in order to use the Content Template in the future.

Thanks

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft