Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Feb 14, 2023 @ 07:06
    Meni

Hi,

I was reading about deployment in the documentation but it was not so clear.

In my case, I don't think I need the Umbraco deploy. My website is a magazine, so anyway the database is always get update on a regular basis with every news item posted to the magazine.

The things that I do change, is the code base. Sill didn't complete the migration from 7 - there are some sections / pages that still their code needs to be migrate to 11, and later it's just ongoing fixes / improvements, etc.

The question is if I need / can have a CI/CD only for this?

Because, my assumption is that I don't really need to build every time I push new changes of the views / macro files to the repository?

And the pipeline is mostly for testing / build - so do I really need a CI/CD?

The thing is that I don't want for every change open the ftp client.

So can I just have on Azure a simple / basic pipeline that I'll just be able to deploy the code of the branch that I want?

Thanks

• Conor Howe 36 posts 137 karma points
    Feb 15, 2023 @ 09:04
    Conor Howe

Hi!

I would suggest to always build your code base fully within a CI pipeline. This has a lot a benefits and will allow for consistent deployments to any environment.

You can use ms build / cli tools within the CI pipeline and deploy to either on-prem or cloud using the CD pipeline. There are differences between cloud and on-prem deployments, within Azure DevOps these would require different tasks to use.

Building and deploying an Umbraco project (assuming you have done any prerequisites) does not differ too much from deploying any other .net project.

It may be worth looking in to CI/CD in general and then applying it to your project.

You can normally do anything within a CI pipeline like using powershell or tasks to extract views only if that is desired, but you may find it breaks a lot of principles for good CI.

Hope this helps!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft