Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bent Holz 100 posts 273 karma points
    Feb 24, 2023 @ 12:31
    Bent Holz

Upgrading a new 11.0.0 installation

Time for an upgrade and I can see alot has happened since i created a website in version 8. No UmbracoCMS11.zip for me :(

So now I am trying to figure out how to upgrade Umbraco 11 using VS (I am not use to working with VS).

I created a new project in VS and everything went smooth.

I then published (from VS via FTP) and the installation ran with no problems and I can now start creating my doc types etc. on the live site but...

I installed version 11.0.0 so that I could try upgrading to version 11.1.0 and 11.2.0 for practice, but I can't get it to work.

I followed the Umbraco documentation on upgrading (local).

If I locally run the upgrade on my project (from say 11.0.0 to 11.2.0) using VS/Nuget Package Manager, no problems... The project is upgraded. But if I then publish the project again it will of course overwrite my live installation and mess it up...

Been going through some of the tutorials out there, but I have not been able to find something usefull so...

How do I upgrade this installation moving forward?

Can you "package" all the updated files and somehow upload/deploy and avoid it messing up the db. Is there a way to upgrade the live site directly from VS? Do I backup my db, publish my project after local upgrade and then restore my data into the db? Questions. questions...

So any tips that could help or point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Cheers...

• Huw Reddick 1734 posts 6073 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 28, 2023 @ 09:41
    Huw Reddick

Hi Bent,

Upgrading the Umbraco version should not mess up your site, when you have updated it locally, do a publish in VS (to a local folder) You then just need to upload any files that have changed, these will be mostly dll's etc. When you then restart your website Umbraco will perform any necesary DB updates, this should not affect any of your doc types/ content etc.

You should not replace your remote database with your local one :)

I would also suggest installing uSync package as this will halp to keep your doctypes and content synchronised between your local on remote instances.

Feb 28, 2023 @ 11:04
    Bent Holz

This sounds almost to simple but I will get on it right away.

Is there any way to tell what files have been updated or do i just replace them all?

• Huw Reddick 1734 posts 6073 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 28, 2023 @ 13:08
    Huw Reddick

I push my local folder to my remote site using FTP, I use WinScp which allows you to sync the folders so will only copy over changed/new files

Feb 28, 2023 @ 14:07
    Bent Holz

Thats good advice... Let's see if I can get it to work.

/Cheers

Mar 01, 2023 @ 08:20
    Bent Holz

I have now tried the following:

1: Create project 2: Publish to folder 3: Upload via FTP 4: Run umbraco install 5: Verify site is running on live server. 6: Reopen project and install 11.2.0 7: Publish to new folder 8: Compared files local/live using WinSCP 9: Synchronized files 10: Site not running...

Is there a special setting in WinSCP? I use the following: enter image description here

Mar 01, 2023 @ 13:48
    Bent Holz

I finally got it working...

1. Installed Umbraco
    2. Installed Package
    3. Updated to 11.1.0
    4. Updated to 11.2.0

It was just because I needed to restart app pool...

Thank you for showing me the way :)

/Cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft