Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zeratul 6 posts 76 karma points
    Mar 07, 2023 @ 11:59
    Zeratul

Add simple date filter to News items ie Month / Year ?

I'm new to umbraco. Please can you let me know how simple it is to implement a frontend filter to a simple news page so the News items are able to be filtered by Month or Year? The news section will eventually have over 100 stories in and clicking 'Previous' or 'Load more' would be too detious for the user.

Mar 10, 2023 @ 14:10
    Zeratul

Is this obviously too complicated for Umbraco?

• Huw Reddick 1736 posts 6076 karma points MVP c-trib
    Mar 10, 2023 @ 14:19
    Huw Reddick

No, it is fairly simple. You need to add a form to your page template for users to select the month/year and post it to a surface controller which can then set the filter and return you to the page, would help if maybe you provided the code of your template so we can see what you are doing in that first.

Mar 10, 2023 @ 14:26
    Zeratul

Thanks for your reply and I appreciate that I havent supplied much information to support my question, code etc. I'm not the developer tbh - I wanted to guage if its was a simple or complicated task as I've been quoted 'late hundreds' to add this function.

Mar 10, 2023 @ 14:33
    Huw Reddick

Well, it would take a day or so to implement and test so cost would be determined by time and how much they charge for dev work :)

Mar 10, 2023 @ 14:39
    Zeratul

Thanks Huw - they quoted 3-4 days.

Mar 10, 2023 @ 14:56
    Huw Reddick

3-4 days and a quote in the late hundreds sounds very cheap to me :)

some companies for 3-4 days work would be in the low thousands not high hundreds.

Mar 10, 2023 @ 15:01
    Zeratul

OK cool - I realise its difficult to guage the work required tbf. For the record... the news section is already setup and built... its the filter functionality thats to be added after.

Mar 10, 2023 @ 15:14
    Huw Reddick

its the filter functionality thats to be added after.

That would affect the timescale as they will be working with existing code/data so unless they were the ones that initially developed it it is likely to take a little longer, plus you need to allow a little extra time for toing and froing between developer and client when the client tests the solution, so 3-4 days would not be excessive TBH.

Mar 10, 2023 @ 15:22
    Zeratul

Yes they were the original one who have only just developed it. Appreciate your feedback.

Mar 10, 2023 @ 15:37
    Huw Reddick

No problem at all.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft