Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mauzilla 19 posts 90 karma points
    Mar 15, 2023 @ 15:18
    mauzilla

What would be my simplest upgrade from 8 to 11?

I have adopted a site which cuirrently runs 8. What would be my simplest upgrade path to 11? The site is a multi-language site but does not have a great deal of functionality, but worth noting as content is everything.

From what I can gather:

1. Upgrade 8 to latest
    2. Install new 9 and copy the content accross. This seems to be the recommended approach
    3. Upgrade to 10 (follow https://www.jondjones.com/learn-umbraco-cms/umbraco-10-tutorials/getting-started-with-umbraco-10/the-legendary-umbraco-v9-to-v10-upgrade-guide/)
    4. Upgrade to 11

Is there a simpler path? I also read on the forum one can simply upgrade through the installer, is this true?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Mar 21, 2023 @ 20:27
    Marc Goodson

Hi Mauzilla

This is the simplest official path.

One thing to note, is that this isn't an upgrade, it's termed a migration.

This means that each step will migrate the content stored in your Umbraco database to the latest Umbraco version format, but you will need to 'reimplement' any custom code or controllers, now that Umbraco runs on DotNet Core (V6).

The other thing to note though is you do not need to reimplement your site, in V9 / V10 along the upgrade path, only when you get to V11.

So literally you are spinning up a vanilla V9 Install and pointing it at a copy of your V8 database, logging in, and triggering the upgrade.

You can then 'upgrade' your V9 project to V10 via NuGet and point it again at the database and login to trigger the upgrade to V10

Then upgrade your V10 project to V11, point it again at the database and login to trigger the upgrade - and now 'implement' your site templates and code in V11.

Problems will be if you have custom V8 property editors that are not compatible with the later versions of Umbraco, here you'll need to find an equivalent, and perhaps manipulate the stored data into the stored format of the new editor.

The Alternative approach to avoid the multiple steps, would be to install uSync + uSync Content Edition and do a full export of the site.

This creates a set of XML files containing your content and definitions of Doc Types

Then in a fresh install of V11 install uSync + uSync Content edition, copy across your uSync files from the V8 site, and run a full Import.

Depending on the complexity of the site this can work quite well, but you lose things like editing history etc

regards

Marc

• john blair 48 posts 219 karma points
    Apr 21, 2023 @ 14:34
    john blair

This is my optimised route from latest v8 to v11

Had to do an intermediate step upgrading v8 to v11:

Install v10.5.0 , point appsettings.json at v8.18.7 db and mark for unattended upgrade.

Install v11.3.0 point appsettings.json at v8 db (now a v10.5.0 db) and mark for unattended upgrade.

You are then able to log in to the back office and see current version is 11.3

Note: You cannot go direct from v8 to v11

"Umbraco": {
    "CMS": {
        "Global": {
            "Id": "9cc4adf9-618b-4c4c-88d1-42fa4207a790",
            "SanitizeTinyMce": true
        },
        "Unattended": {
            "UpgradeUnattended": true
        },
      "Content": {
        "AllowEditInvariantFromNonDefault": true,
        "ContentVersionCleanupPolicy": {
          "EnableCleanup": true
        }
      }
    }

"ConnectionStrings": {
        "umbracoDbDSN": "Server=.\\MSSQLSERVER01;Database=umbraco11-johnblair;User Id=umbraco;Password=

• mauzilla 19 posts 90 karma points
    Apr 21, 2023 @ 14:51
    mauzilla

I ended up doing 8 > 9 > 10 > 11, I tried going straight to 11 but my content was missing so did it in a staged approach. Most issues will happen with the 9 upgrade for code changes but after that it should go a little quicker

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft