Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeroen Oostwouder 100 posts 296 karma points
    Mar 17, 2023 @ 07:18
    Jeroen Oostwouder

Umbraco creates media-item, but no file is uploaded

I have a weird problem, and I can't figure out what's going on.

We have a Umbraco 9.5.0 site. If our customer logs in and uploads a new image to the Media-section, umbraco creates a media-node, but there isn't a file uploaded.

When I look at the image-node in Umbraco, it has the correct name, width, height, size (in bytes), type. But there is no image. On the 'info-tab', there is a link to the image. It's a correct link in the sence that it's something like /media/xxxxxxxx/file.jpg. Problem is: there is no folder by that name on the server.

Customer tried it, and this bug appears. A marketing agency of the customer tried it and also got this bug. So 2 different people, on 2 different networks, and on at least 2 different (windows) machines got this error.

We tried it, and everything works fine. Doesn't matter if we use the admin-login, or the customer login. It all works. A colleague of mine had this problem once, years ago in another CMS, where the image was readonly. We tried it here, but that too works. And when the customer explicitly removed the readonly-check, it still didn't work.

I'm at a loss. What could possibly cause this problem?

• Rosa 17 posts 121 karma points
    Apr 07, 2023 @ 16:08
    Rosa

I'm also experiencing this issue but on Umbraco Cloud.

• Jeroen Oostwouder 100 posts 296 karma points
    Apr 08, 2023 @ 05:54
    Jeroen Oostwouder

Well, I found the problem yesterday. And I'm still hitting myself in the face for not seeing this (in our case).

We had 2 versions of the website running. A staging-version (which should be turned off) and a live-version. Both using the same database, but different folders on the server.

The customer was user the staging-URL as a "admin-URL" so to speak. So he maintained the site via the staging-URL. Uploaded images there. Therefore they did show up in Umbraco as media-items on the live site (where I was looking in Umbraco), without an image present.

Somehow I got the idea to see if there was a staging-version of this site, which there was. So I looked in the media folder, and there were the missing images.

Turned off the staging-version, copied all images to live-folder (which is a breeze thanks to the new folder-naming in U10 (compared to 7). Notified the customer of the URL error.

Happy customer.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft