Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tobias 14 posts 86 karma points
    Mar 21, 2023 @ 09:05
    Tobias

No controller/action found by name Render.Index

Since moving to Umbraco 10 (and now 11), I often get this strange error when debugging locally. I've searched in the forum and it seems like no one has reported the exact same error message.

The solution is always a good old fashioned restart of my PC, then the error goes away.

But I would really like to know why this is occuring. Has anyone perhaps more info regarding this?

System.InvalidOperationException: No controller/action found by name Render.Index
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Website.Routing.UmbracoRouteValuesFactory.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<.ctor>b__1()
       at System.Lazy`1.ViaFactory(LazyThreadSafetyMode mode)
       at System.Lazy`1.ExecutionAndPublication(LazyHelper executionAndPublication, Boolean useDefaultConstructor)
       at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Website.Routing.UmbracoRouteValuesFactory.CreateAsync(HttpContext httpContext, IPublishedRequest request)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Website.Routing.UmbracoRouteValueTransformer.TransformAsync(HttpContext httpContext, RouteValueDictionary values)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Routing.DynamicControllerEndpointMatcherPolicy.ApplyAsync(HttpContext httpContext, CandidateSet candidates)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Routing.Matching.DfaMatcher.SelectEndpointWithPoliciesAsync(HttpContext httpContext, IEndpointSelectorPolicy[] policies, CandidateSet candidateSet)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Routing.EndpointRoutingMiddleware.<Invoke>g__AwaitMatch|8_1(EndpointRoutingMiddleware middleware, HttpContext httpContext, Task matchTask)
       at StackExchange.Profiling.MiniProfilerMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context) in C:\projects\dotnet\src\MiniProfiler.AspNetCore\MiniProfilerMiddleware.cs:line 119
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Middleware.UmbracoRequestMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Middleware.UmbracoRequestMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Builder.UseMiddlewareExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass6_1.<<UseMiddlewareInterface>b__1>d.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Middleware.PreviewAuthenticationMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Builder.UseMiddlewareExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass6_1.<<UseMiddlewareInterface>b__1>d.MoveNext()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Middleware.UmbracoRequestLoggingMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at SeoToolkit.Umbraco.Redirects.Core.Middleware.RedirectMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
       at SeoToolkit.Umbraco.RobotsTxt.Core.Middleware.RobotsTxtMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
       at SeoToolkit.Umbraco.Sitemap.Core.Middleware.SitemapMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context, ISitemapGenerator sitemapGenerator, ISitemapIndexGenerator sitemapIndexGenerator)
       at SixLabors.ImageSharp.Web.Middleware.ImageSharpMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext httpContext, Boolean retry)
       at Umbraco.Forms.Web.HttpModules.ProtectFormUploadRequestsMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.DeveloperExceptionPageMiddlewareImpl.Invoke(HttpContext context)

• Isaiah Pellarp 19 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 29, 2023 @ 11:55
    Isaiah Pellarp

I have been getting the same error locally every now and then. The only solution (mind you, not a proper solution) has been to:

• Clean&Rebuild (works 10% of the time)
    • Close and restart Visual Studio (works about 20% of the time)
    • or restart my computer (usually solves it)

But the problem still persists and comes back after maybe 1-2 days. If anybody else knows why this is happening, or how to prevent/solve it any help would be appreciated!

• John DeSpirito 10 posts 80 karma points
    Apr 06, 2023 @ 17:10
    John DeSpirito

I've just run afoul of this error as well. I tried cleaning & rebuilding, restarting VS, and restarting my pc, but no luck. It seemingly came out of nowhere.

Bumping this post hoping someone has any insight on this.

• Chris Spanellis 45 posts 190 karma points
    May 03, 2023 @ 19:37
    Chris Spanellis

I cleaned, but then deleted the bin and obj folders in my Umbraco project, and that seemed to do the trick.

May 22, 2023 @ 06:00
    Tobias

I'm marking this as the solution since this always works for me.

Would however still be great if someone can explain this error more in depth. I always get it when making configuration changes in appsettings, changes in startup.cs or nuget updates.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4455 karma points c-trib
    May 17, 2023 @ 19:18
    Steve Morgan

Do you have your solution broken up into separate code and website projects? I did - had this and a different issue.

Seems to have gone away now I've just got a single project.

May 22, 2023 @ 14:24
    Tobias

Yes, I have. Can't switch to single project though. We're a large organization with many dependencies.

Good point though!

• Benjamin kakar 3 posts 73 karma points
    Aug 04, 2023 @ 07:15
    Benjamin kakar

im also getting this issue, what is going on? anyone with solution to this?

• Chris Spanellis 45 posts 190 karma points
    Aug 04, 2023 @ 17:25
    Chris Spanellis

Have you tried my solution above?

• Akram Shaker 1 post 71 karma points
    Nov 29, 2023 @ 11:14
    Akram Shaker

I had the same issue also and cleaning then rebuilding resolved the issue. Can't figure out the cause still though.

• roger malik 16 posts 78 karma points
    Jan 25, 2024 @ 12:49
    roger malik

My workaround is to remove the additional project from the VS solution and start it. Then stop debugging and re-add the additional project and re-reference it. On re-start it runs correctly apart from an error with recognising the IWebHostEnvironment MapPathWebRoot function.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4455 karma points c-trib
    Jan 26, 2024 @ 10:14
    Steve Morgan

Since I've stopped trying to break up into different projects I've not experienced this issue again.

Try this and see if it stops for you too.

• Richard Ockerby 32 posts 206 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jun 17, 2024 @ 22:09
    Richard Ockerby

Stumbled on this thread after hitting this issue in v13; thanks for the tips on bin/obj clean (solved it for me).

Additional projects may play a part to this, but what I found was that I received this error after I started developing custom renderers and custom examine indexes.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft