Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Farooq Alwi 12 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 24, 2023 @ 07:14
    Farooq Alwi

Upgrading Umbraco Message in Website

I am learning Umbraco and have installed a fresh website in Umbraco version 10. I am seeing a message to upgrade Umbraco. How can I hide this message from public view, because anyone can click on upgrade button and some wrong thing may happen. and How can I secure cms as anyone can access cms by typing umbraco after url.

below is the screen I am seeing on website. enter image description here

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Mar 24, 2023 @ 08:20
    Huw Reddick

Did you apply the upgrade? Once applied the message will disappear. Anyone may be able to access the umbrac URL but they will need to log in to access it.

Mar 24, 2023 @ 09:14
    Farooq Alwi

Did you apply the upgrade? Once applied the message will disappear.

Yes I applied the upgrade last week and now facing again this message. I want this message may appear in cms not in webiste. Is there any way todo so?

Anyone may be able to access the umbrac URL but they will need to log in to access it.

Yes they need login access but I want they could not access from this URL like www.mywebsite.com/umbraco, can I set custom URL for CMS and block this URL www.mywebsite.com/umbraco?

Thanks and Regards

Farooq

Mar 24, 2023 @ 09:35
    Huw Reddick

Yes I applied the upgrade last week and now facing again this message. I want this message may appear in cms not in webiste. Is there any way todo so?

It would seem that the upgrade was not applied successfully. WHat happens if you redo the upgrade?

Yes they need login access but I want they could not access from this URL like www.mywebsite.com/umbraco, can I set custom URL for CMS and block this URL www.mywebsite.com/umbraco?

The recomended thing to do is to restrict access to specific IP addresses, it is not possible to change the url.

Mar 24, 2023 @ 10:42
    Farooq Alwi

The recomended thing to do is to restrict access to specific IP addresses, it is not possible to change the url.

Ok, thanks, can you send any links to read about url restriction?

It would seem that the upgrade was not applied successfully. WHat happens if you redo the upgrade?

It was applied successfully, but it requires upgrad again, however I found a link to block this page from website and can do upgrad from cms. here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYwEnZpLVsw&ab_channel=UmbracoLearningBase

Mar 24, 2023 @ 10:49
    Huw Reddick

You can restrict access to the back office using a rewrite rule in the web config. Like so:

<rule name="RestrictBackOffice" enabled="true" patternSyntax="Wildcard" stopProcessing="true"> 
    <match url="*" />
    <conditions> 
    <add input="{URL}" pattern="/Umbraco/*" /> 
    <add input="{URL}" pattern="/Umbraco/surface/*" negate="true" /> 
    <add input="{REMOTE_ADDR}" pattern="Your-IP" negate="true"/> 
    <add input="{REMOTE_ADDR}" pattern="Another-IP" negate="true"/> 
    <add input="{REMOTE_ADDR}" pattern="127.0.0.1" negate="true"/> 
    <add input="{HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR}" pattern="Your-IP" negate="true"/> 
    <add input="{HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR}" pattern="Another-IP" negate="true"/> 
    <add input="{HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR}" pattern="127.0.0.1" negate="true"/> 
    </conditions> 
    <action type="CustomResponse" statusCode="404" statusReason="File or directory not found." statusDescription="The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." /> 
    </rule>

Mar 24, 2023 @ 11:45
    Farooq Alwi

Thanks for solution, but I am unable to find web.config I searched for it and found that in Umbraco version 10 no web.config file exists, instead of web.config it uses appsettings.json

Can you do that for appsettings.json?

Mar 24, 2023 @ 11:52
    Huw Reddick

just create a web.config file to add the routing, web.config is used by IIS, appsettings.json is used by Umbraco.

Mar 24, 2023 @ 11:54
    Farooq Alwi

Thanks, let me try

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft