Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Devon Facey 3 posts 73 karma points
    Apr 04, 2023 @ 18:00
    Devon Facey

Up grading Umbraco 7.14.0 to 8

Having issues upgrading from Umbraco 7.14.0 to 8. The back office came up fine in my umbraco 8 version all content came over perfectly however when I bring over my view files and other files over into the new umbraco 8 versions I'm getting error message of MultiUrlPicker and Archetype. Im using ProWorks documentation https://www.proworks.com/blog/archive/how-to-upgrade-umbraco-version-7-to-version-8/.

Is anyone familiar with Our.Umbraco.Migrations and ProWorks.Umbraco8.Migrations, I don't know maybe im missing something or I should update the scripts somehow in the ProWorks packages

enter image description here

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1101 karma points
    Apr 04, 2023 @ 21:24
    Brendan Rice

I pretty sure Archetype isn't supported in v8:

This is from the git repo:

This project will work with all versions of Umbraco 7. It will not (that we know of), work with V8+.

https://github.com/kgiszewski/Archetype

You probably want to replace Archectype with something else.

Apr 05, 2023 @ 13:53
    Devon Facey

Thanks Brendan, I will take a look on the source you provided.

• Marc Goodson 2155 posts 14386 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Apr 04, 2023 @ 22:44
    Marc Goodson

Hi Devon

With Our Umbraco Migrations, you have to implement a class that instructs the package what property to migrate to what property...

There is for example a base migration to go from Ids to Udis that you can trigger by having a class inside your V7 project like this

[Migration("1.0.0", 1, "PrepareV7ForV8Upgrade")]
    public class PickersIdToUdiMigration : IdToUdiMigration
    {
        public PickersIdToUdiMigration(ISqlSyntaxProvider sqlSyntax, ILogger logger) : base(sqlSyntax, logger,false,null,null, false) { }

}

and that will migrate all old V1 versions of pickers to V2 UDIs

Then in your config/migrationresolvers.config file

you have to add which of these migrations to run - eg the "PrepareV7ForV8Upgrade" in the example above is the name of all the migrations I want to run and you tell the config that's what you want to do by adding this

<migrationResolvers>
      <add name="ProductMigrations" type="Our.Umbraco.Migration.ProductMigrationResolver, Our.Umbraco.Migration">
        <add key="MonitoredProductNames" value="PrepareV7ForV8Upgrade" />
      </add>
    </migrationResolvers>

When you start the V7 site up (before migration to V8) these migration resolvers will run

and if you look in the umbracoMigrations table in the database table, if they have run completely you'll see an entry eg v1.0.0 in that table...

So if you are expecting the Archetype data to be migrated to something like nested content, then you will need to have a Migration class wired up to do that transformation, and you should be able to see in the umbracoMigrations table whether that has run.

Now if your views that you have copied over are all anticipating archetype and have namespace references to the RJP.MultiUrlPicker (if that is the one you are migrating from) then you will get errors, but also the syntax is changed in lots of places between V7 and V8, so it is a case, if your data has migrated correctly, and your migrators have run successfully to turn the old property editor stored data into new V8 compatible property editor formats, that you will still have to make lots of small tweaks to the code to account for syntax changes and changes to the names of classes etc. There is a good article here outlining some of the stuff that has changed: https://skrift.io/issues/who-moved-my-cheese/

Anyway hope that helps give an idea where things might be going awry!

regards

marc

Apr 05, 2023 @ 13:55
    Devon Facey

Thanks very much Marc, I will try to edit the OurUmbracoMigration scripts and see

• Steve Brereton 31 posts 172 karma points
    19 hours ago
    Steve Brereton

Hi there!

I found this thread in the process of working out how to use the Migrator. I updated the code I'd got from the Proworks site, and matched up the key/value pair to my own.

Now, our scenario is that I've already updated the data types to the new names, but as I'm struggling to understand how that bit all plugs together, am trying to just run the migrator for it to find all types and where they are applied.

Nothing seems to happen when the site is loaded, and the standing 500 error 'String "32242" is not a valid udi.' remains - this is from the line in the master template that loads the topLinks, which have vanished from the content tab, so a fairly safe bet that the changed UDIs are the problem - adding a single entry back in stops the error.

I've created a class file with the migrator code in, for the lack of anywhere more obvious to put it, but the database table does not update, so I have to assume it doesn't get run.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft