Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Newt 28 posts 182 karma points
    Apr 13, 2023 @ 16:05
    Tom Newt

Handling Legacy Property Editors After Migrating From 7.13 to 10.4

We've recently been working on our migration from 7.13 to 10.4. Following a few different guides we have our content and media migrated, and have moved on to porting our templates, macros, and partial views. In doing so we've noticed that some of the property editors we use the most are marked as "legacy"; Media Picker (legacy) and Grid Layout (legacy).

Based on the release notes of 8.15 it looks like we can easily switch our Media Picker data types to use the new version (Umbraco.MediaPicker3) without issue.

Our worry has now turned to the Grid Layout. Besides an informational warning on the documentation I'm having a hard time figuring out what this "legacy" label means going forward. Can we migrate our site as is and expect the Grid Layout to work going forward, just without any new development? Do we need to migrate all of our document types and content using Grid Layout into Block Grid now? I guess I'm looking for Grid Layout specific roadmap/end of life documentation.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Apr 14, 2023 @ 09:13
    Marc Goodson

Hi Tom

In my head it will be removed as a 'core' property editor in Umbraco 13, when the new backoffice comes along, but I don't know if I've just 'heard' that on the grapevine, eg I can't find an official announcement that corroborates my understanding...

... generally the rule is that something won't get removed between 'major' versions, but that will be a period of at least one 'version' where it is indicated that the editor is obsolete and will be removed in the future.

Incidentally there is a free tool uSyncMigrations that was created to help people migrate old V7 data formats into their V10 counterparts, it's in Beta at the moment: https://github.com/Jumoo/uSyncMigrations have used it on several sites, it now has the ability to run 'conversions' after you have already upgraded, and one of the migrations/conversions is from Old Grid Layout to New Block Grid - so might be worth experimenting with for your site.

Have asked a question of HQ to see if they can confirm the V13 removal somewhere.

regards

Marc

Apr 14, 2023 @ 15:22
    Tom Newt

Just ran a couple tests with uSync.Migrations and it seems to handle the conversion of the umbraco.grid to umbraco.blockgrid data types, but in my testing does not convert the content which used those grids to the new block grid. Have you had success getting the content to convert?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Apr 18, 2023 @ 08:27
    Marc Goodson

Hi Tom

Yes, I have had it bring across the content too!

Found this announcement about the future of the GridLayout property editor:

https://github.com/umbraco/Announcements/issues/7

So it will be removed in V13.

regards

Marc

Apr 18, 2023 @ 20:47
    Tom Newt

I'm not 100% sure what I did different, but I tested uSync.Migrations again and was able to convert our Data Types, Document Types, Content, and Media with grids to block grids. I mostly followed the steps on the uSync.Migrations github, except my step 1 was not a fresh install but a manual data migration from 7.13 => 10.4 and when I ran the usync migration in step 3 I chose "Convert Existing" instead of using v7 data.

• Alexander Reynolds 3 posts 71 karma points notactivated
    Nov 22, 2023 @ 22:54
    Alexander Reynolds

Any suggestions? our content did not transfer

• Alexander Reynolds 3 posts 71 karma points notactivated
    Dec 21, 2023 @ 19:45
    Alexander Reynolds

hey umbraco can you post my reply? it has been a month and im trying to migrate my site

Jan 24, 2024 @ 13:25
    Tom Newt

What have you tried so far? It took some testing, but we did end up getting usync.migrations to work for our data types, doc types, content, and media. Templates, partial views, and macros all still needed to be done manually.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft