Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Apr 14, 2023 @ 09:52
    David Armitage

Umbraco 11| Examine Exact Phrase Term Search

Hi,

I am really struggling to get an exact phase (2 words) to work against a plain text field.

So I have 3 pages. I am searching against a field called metaDescription (Text Area).

I am using the external index and I can see the 3 pages are indexed. Just the default that Umbraco does. Nothing custom abaout this. I can see the field data is indexed as expected through the Umbraco Examine backend

Page 1: metaData = Test Page

Page 2: metaData = Test Page

Page 3: metaData = Page

When I am searching the phrase "Test Page" all 3 pages come back every time. No matter what I try it always seems to be doing a multi word search.

I have tried each of the following plus a load of variations along the way... They all return the exact same data - all 3 pages.

var searcher = index.Searcher;
    var criteria = searcher.CreateQuery(IndexTypes.Content, BooleanOperation.And);
    var examineQuery = criteria.NodeTypeAlias(ContentPage.ModelTypeAlias);

/

examineQuery.And().Field("metaDescription", "Test Page");

examineQuery.And().Field("metaDescription", "\"Test Page\"");

examineQuery.And().Field("metaDescription", "\"^Test Page$\"");

I also tried a few examples from other posts. Like this for example. https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/80250-searching-for-phrases-using-examine

examineQuery.And().Field("metaDescription", new ExactPhraseExamineValue("Test Page".ToLower()));

This returned no results.

Is there a bug with Umbraco 11 getting exact term searching to work. I dont remember having these problems with Umbraco 7 and 8. I have tied for most of the day with this one.

I am sure with the older versions this just worked out of the box.

examineQuery.And().Field("metaDescription", "Test Page");

And if you wanted to split the words then you did exactly that and passed in the array.

I know I could create a custom index and stip out the space between the indexed words. This wont really work through since I am trying to index a block of text rather than something short like the node name. I would prefer not to fiddle with how the content is indexed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    May 11, 2023 @ 05:53
    David Armitage

Anyone any ideas on this? Do we know if its a bug.

I want to avoid changing my code to use a raw lucene query which is starting to look like might be the best option.

• Sarah Giblett 1 post 72 karma points
    Oct 18, 2023 @ 17:13
    Sarah Giblett

I've also been having this issue. I tried this which didn't work

examineQuery.And().Field("metaDescription", "Test Page".Escape());

What did work for me was

examineQuery.And().NativeQuery("+metaDescription:\"^Test Page$\"");

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft