Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• DasMergo 4 posts 75 karma points
    Apr 18, 2023 @ 10:44
    DasMergo

best solution for heavy traffic and interactive Magazine Website?

hey guys, i have a wordpress website with many contnets with:

• Video
    • Podcast (Audio)
    • Articles
    • Images
    • GameDB like (IGDB)

right now due to wordpress usage and lack of features i want to convert it to UMBRACO traditional cms or JavaScript Headless cms + nextjs

but here to know which is the best solution for me to create a blazing fast heavy content driven website in term of:

• Speed
    • Time Saving
    • best user experience
    • no breaking or bottlenecks

my question is performance related so Maybe my question is too brief and general and I need more expert opinions and information If you guys guide me in this field, I will be grateful to reach a better result. In your opinion, JavaScript is a better option using the power of nextjs or c# using umbracocms

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Apr 18, 2023 @ 17:38
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

I worked on the Guitar Interactive Magazine a few years ago when it was in Umbraco.

They since moved to a WP driven site and I think they culled a large legacy proportion of content to get it to perform at the levels they were used to with Umbraco.

Your bullet points are the "wish list of EVERY website". I'm curious to why you are comparing two completely different technologies. Database Driven or Headless.

JS or C# can achieve many things, and both can have good or bad under performant code. Go with the one you feel more comfortable with, and one where you can rely on outsourcing to as your project grows.

• Keith 74 posts 240 karma points
    Apr 19, 2023 @ 09:36
    Keith

Hi,

Our site is built using Next.js and we use Umbraco as the CMS. If you look back through my posts on here, you will see I have had numerous performance issues.

HOWEVER. Our site currently has approximately 130,000 content nodes, 400,000 user accounts ("members" in umbraco terms) and about 300 content types.

In summary, I have found it is very fast in all areas when you have 100s or 1000s of content nodes. When you have a lot more than that, it will still work, but you need to take a little more care.

In more detail:

• The umbraco members system is fully featured and works well BUT it does not scale well to the number of users we have: Searching for users is slow in the backoffice, the content tree is locked whenever a member changes their profile so that causes its own issues. So if you are planning on using the members system and expecting this number of memebers, I would try something third party. We are migrating our members away from umbraco to our own implementation based on .net core identity and identity server.

• Umbraco does a very good job of caching the published content. Even with our large number of content nodes, response times are fast. Creating and publishing new content is also pretty fast.

• Creating new content types or editing existing ones slows down quite a bit when you have a lot of content nodes (see my other posts on the forum). This does not impact the frontend performance as far as i can see, but it can be quite frustrating for developers.

• Startup times are slow with large numbers of nodes (see my other posts)... I have never got to the bottom of what exactly is happening, but I believe umbraco tries to read its cache from the disk at startup. When you have a lot of nodes, this file is large and when using azure app services, the disk is slow. So if memory serves, this was so slow it was basically unusable. I turned it off and now it has to rebuild the cache in memory from the database at startup instead, which takes a few mintues. This is all work aroundable if you use deployment slots to divert traffic to a live slot while a new slot deploys

• Next.js needs the CMS to operate in a headless way, which is not a feature that comes out-of-the-box with Umbraco. We need the CMS to operate in a this way anyway because we need to get data for other systems too, so it was a necessarry evil for us. But if you dont have to do that, I would not use next.js and stick to using the server side Razor templating that comes out-of-the-box. If you must have a SPA though, I think Angular might be a better option. I am no expert in Angular, but I belive it can pull in server-side HTML snippets, rendered by other systems. Next.js and React needs React to render the server side HTML.

• Custom API routing can be slow if you dont follow the Umbraco patterns (see my other posts)

In a nutshell, once you keep the number of content nodes down, umbraco is very fast, fully featured, extensible easy to use, well documented etc. If you get into the 10,000s or 100,000s of content nodes, things get a little harder to keep the performance up.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft