Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan L Folland 27 posts 159 karma points
    Apr 20, 2023 @ 12:05
    Jonathan L Folland

Current tools for serialization both for packaging and source control

I have been away from Umbraco for some time. I would like to know what the current tools are that are used for serializing content both for the purposes of sharing packages and for storing items in source control.

In particular, is there a command line tool available similar to Sitecore CLI that allows for pushing and pulling items based upon a configuration and that can be used in the deployment process to push items to target environments.

Also, when I last used Umbraco, one of the pain points was the fact that the Id for items was an integer, which made keeping item linkages in sync across environments difficult. Has this changed?

• Kevin Jump 2312 posts 14698 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 20, 2023 @ 12:41
    Kevin Jump

Hi Jonathan, Welcome back 👋 .

I would say (because i wrote it, but also because it is used by a large proportion of Umbraco devs). That uSync is the answer to most of the questions you are asking.

it will read/write the content, config, etc to and from disk, and it handles any id problems (although they are almost all gone, with GUIDs being used in most places now).

• uSync can be configured to import things as a site starts up, so you can deploy and then the settings are there.
    • there is a uSync command line project that you can us to get stuff in and out of your site during deployment.
    • uSync.Complete is the big brother package that lets you push and pull content and settings between sites via the UI, (its much more an editors tool but you can use it in deployments and syncing of things).

the ID problem has all but gone, now things are referenced by GUID or UDI (which is umbraco id, and looks like udi://document/GUID-VALUE) .

So you never need to reference things by id. anymore.

• Jonathan L Folland 27 posts 159 karma points
    Apr 20, 2023 @ 14:38
    Jonathan L Folland

Thank you. This is good news.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft