Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Yaco Zaragoza 80 posts 334 karma points
    May 04, 2023 @ 15:15
    Yaco Zaragoza

Best way to Import data from my old non-umbraco site

I am using Umbraco 11 and my old site was not using a framework.

What is the best way to import the data into my new site? Both sites use MSSQL databases.

I am assuming I should download the data from my old site into a CSV file and then upload it to my new site but not sure how to map the fields for each page.

Right now the 1st thing I want to do is import a list of News articles (around 300)

All the articles have the same fields

1. Title
    2. Author
    3. Image
    4. Content 1
    5. Content 2

and I already created the Document type "News Item Page"

• Corné Hoskam 80 posts 587 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    May 05, 2023 @ 11:51
    Corné Hoskam

Hi Yaco,

There is no real 'best way' of doing an import and export, as there are several options out there. Mapping on a database level is very tricky and not something I would personally recommend.

One of the options that I would recommend would be to use the exported CSV of your old website, and create a (migration) script in your Umbraco application reading your CSV file and making use of the various Umbraco API's & Services to create the content items correspondingly! You'll have to map the fields of your CSV to the fields of your document types yourself though, but you won't have to do all the heavy lifting from a database perspective

Hope this helps you get into the right directions!

• Deep Vyas 6 posts 76 karma points
    May 05, 2023 @ 12:46
    Deep Vyas

Hi Yaco , Just to add If you had evaluated the database tables and structure is same than you can expot and import the same easily.

Let me know If you need any help further

Good Day

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    May 11, 2023 @ 12:57
    Richard Soeteman

You can try my CMSImport package, free for CSV files and max is 500 records so should work

https://soetemansoftware.nl/cmsimport

Best,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft