Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Leonard Hulley 1 post 71 karma points
    May 18, 2023 @ 18:53
    Leonard Hulley

Consuming Dataverse API as logged in user (Umbraco 11)

In my use case I get my member to authenticate using Microsoft Identity Web App (so they have to be a user in my tenant), and I am using auto linking to create them an Umbraco account if it is their first log in. They then need to be able to consume a Dataverse API which is in the same tenant, using their logged in account. I've been able to consume the API using a service principal, but not as the user themselves.

Here is my code configuring the external authentication provider for members:

string[] scopes = { builder.Config.GetValue<string>("DataverseConfig:BaseUri") + "/user_impersonation" };

builder.Services.ConfigureOptions<AzureMembersExternalLoginProviderOptions>();
            builder.AddMemberExternalLogins(logins =>
            {
                logins.AddMemberLogin(
                    memberAuthenticationBuilder =>
                    {
                        memberAuthenticationBuilder.AddMicrosoftIdentityWebApp(builder.Config.GetSection("AzureAd"),
                        memberAuthenticationBuilder.SchemeForMembers(AzureMembersExternalLoginProviderOptions.SchemeName))
                        .EnableTokenAcquisitionToCallDownstreamApi(scopes)
                        .AddInMemoryTokenCaches();
                    });
            });

Here is the code to get an access token for the Dataverse API:

private async Task<string> GetToken()
        {
            var authBuilder = PublicClientApplicationBuilder.Create(_configuration.GetValue<string>("AzureAd:ClientId"))
                 .WithTenantId(_configuration.GetValue<string>("AzureAd:TenantId"))
                 .Build();

string[] scopes = { _configuration.GetValue<string>("DataverseConfig:BaseUri") + "/user_impersonation" };

var accounts = await authBuilder.GetAccountsAsync();

AuthenticationResult tokenResult;
            if (accounts.Any())
            {
                tokenResult = await authBuilder.AcquireTokenSilent(scopes, accounts.FirstOrDefault())
                                                .ExecuteAsync();
            }
            else
            {
                tokenResult = await authBuilder.AcquireTokenInteractive(scopes)
                                                .ExecuteAsync();
            }

return tokenResult.AccessToken;
        }

GetAccountsAsync returns no accounts even though the user is logged in, and then the attempt to interact with the user fails because of the redirection flow.

Anyone done something similar to this whilst building an intranet or something?

This is Umbraco 11 by the way.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft