Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jaison 7 posts 78 karma points
    May 24, 2023 @ 06:44
    Jaison

Ecrypt/ Decrypt data in Umbraco

Hi,

I'm a beginner in Umbraco. Im using Umbraco 11. As a part of our working project, we are creating a contact us form for users to enter their detail from front end. We have created the document type for the contact us form so that the admin user can view the details furnished by the front end customer. By default all this data is stored in umbracoPropertyData table but the data is not encrypted.

Can some one suggest how to enable encryption for such sensitive information.

I have been spending hours to check for the possibility, but in vain...

Im having thoughts to use some kind of SALT/ encryption while storing these information in the umbracoPropertyData table, but I don't know how I can fetch and de-crypt them when loading them into the contact us backoffice screen.

Can someone help me out.

Please share any code snippet for reference if you guys get hold of any...

Thanks in advance.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 26, 2023 @ 13:11
    Nik

Hi Jaison,

Although this isn't what you asked, I feel it prudent to flag that storing this data in the content tree is not recommended. I would advise using nPoco (ships with umbraco) to create a custom table to store the data. This would give you alot more control over the data and how it is store.

I would then also use a ContentApp or custom Dashboard to display the data to editors who have permissions to view it.

netcore ships with a wide range of encryption options (what you need to use to encrypt and decrypt data) as well as methods for salt handling as well.

If it was me, I'd handle the form submit, generate a salt and encrypt the data, then save them all in the custom table.

Does that help at all?

Nik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft