Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Isaac Meyers 8 posts 88 karma points
    Jun 02, 2023 @ 16:03
    Isaac Meyers

Media that I add to Umbraco is unable to be seen by other developers

Hi there, I am working on a project in Umbraco 10 with a couple other developers. I am able to add media, render it on my site, and view it, and it works great. However, any media that I uploaded is unable to be seem by other developers, and any media they upload is unable to be seen by me.

Umbraco is aware of images, but they are unrendered

wwwroot/media is git ignored, but Umbraco Source Control even says that is correct. It contains all the images I posted in content, but none from the other developers.

Media folder is present and has images, but only the images I posted

Is there some kind of source control changes that we need to do? Or are we uploading media correctly? Any input helps.

Thank you for your time.

• Lindow 154 posts 1301 karma points
    Jun 02, 2023 @ 16:09
    Lindow

Hi, do you store the images on disk or in external storage instead?

Jun 02, 2023 @ 16:13
    Isaac Meyers

Hi Lindow, I am still pretty new to Umbraco, but it seems to store the images on disk automatically when I create in the Media tab.

enter image description here

Is there a way to configure this differently?

The file structure looks as follows:

enter image description here

Jun 02, 2023 @ 16:53
    Lindow

Right, in this case, you'll need to remove the git ignore line for the media folder if you intend to work in collaboration with other developers, as you won't be able to push the media files uploaded by you or pull the ones uploaded by others which is the reason you don't see them.

The reason why this folder is git ignored is that media files tend to take up a lot of disk space = your git repo will blow up in size = your git operations will take longer.

The ideal approach is to store the media in an e.g. blob storage or any external storage to which you can upload them and access them from the backoffice.

That is what we do on Umbraco Cloud and it's also what pretty much any larger project is using :)

Jun 02, 2023 @ 18:25
    Isaac Meyers

I see! Thank you for the help!

Jun 02, 2023 @ 18:26
    Lindow

Happy to help :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft