Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Liam Dilley 153 posts 379 karma points
    Jun 08, 2023 @ 02:09
    Liam Dilley

Tabs & Groups are great, but time for fields to have some love

The Block grid is amazingly powerful and tabs and groups for fields are great too but there has and is a couple of problems with the backoffice custom node content management that still exist...

Field layout: Field after field line by line. Field dynamics: If field is this do something else.

The funny thing is we have the two fixes more or less around and it just needs them implementing in the core platform.

1. Field grid:

Umbraco forms already has the ability to create the grid layout representation for the fields and we just need to see that in the node layout so we can truely group fields together. It does not need to be fancy, it just needs to happen.

2. Field Dynamics:

Many other CMS's have this ability now and "ConditionalDisplayers" is a package that exists that tries to have some basic "If this field is true show this field" and there are built in field validation conditions as well. So it can be done and just needs a little work so we can properly have groups of fields and specific fields show and hide at the very least based on what the user is inputting.

We can create some really powerful stuff these days and outside forming a page of content with a grid those more custom use cases just having tabs and groups is not as clean as it could be.

Is there interest in this? I have not really done too much back office work and likely need someone to work with as my time out of work hours as well with family is all but nill at the moment :( But if there is interest I would love to try and contribute and getting these a reality.

• Steffen Hornbæk Nielsen 42 posts 133 karma points
    Jun 08, 2023 @ 10:52
    Steffen Hornbæk Nielsen

Hi Liam,

A completly new Backoffice rework is comming in v14. But until then, you could create a new discussion on the repo panel :D

https://github.com/umbraco/rfcs/blob/main/cms/0024-implement-the-new-backoffice.md

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft