Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 141 posts 486 karma points c-trib
    Jun 17, 2023 @ 13:59
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

Umbraco 11 admin password reset doesn't work

I have an Umbraco 11.2.2 installation where the only admin's password is lost.

I follow this article from the v11 docs, but this doesn't seem to work in my case. When I replace the value for 'umbracoDbDSN' with an empty string, as suggested in the article, upon browsing to the site I do not see the initialization wizard but the following error message:

InvalidOperationException: The factory has not been configured with a proper connection string.
    Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Persistence.UmbracoDatabaseFactory.Initialize()

Is the article outdated? Is there a new way to do this?

Any input appreciated - thank you!

• Simon Napper 84 posts 254 karma points
    Jun 20, 2023 @ 20:06
    Simon Napper

I'd be tempted to set up a clean version of 11.2.2, run that and point it at your database to reset the password. Take a backup first though! ;-)

• Yaco Zaragoza 80 posts 334 karma points
    Jun 21, 2023 @ 15:05
    Yaco Zaragoza

If you have access to the database you can create a new local installation of Umbraco and make sure you set the admin password. After you are done with the installation you can copy the encrypted version of the password from the new (temp) database into the Umbraco installation were you lost the password for.

The table name you are looking for is: umbracoUser The column you need to copy from the temp/local db is: userPassword

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft