Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Linx 98 posts 258 karma points
    Jun 29, 2023 @ 11:46
    Linx

Upgrading from 8.17 to Umbraco 10

Hi

I have a website which is running on Umbraco 8.17. I would like to upgrade this to the latest version of Umbraco 10.

What steps would i need to take in order to get this to the latest version of Umbraco 10?

After reading around some suggest to upgrade to 9 then 10.

Could i continue using the same Controllers etc or would they need to be rewritten?

Appreciate any help you can provide

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jun 29, 2023 @ 20:33
    Marc Goodson

Hi Linx

Yes, basically what you do is create a vanilla Umbraco 9 solution and point it at your db, and that upgrades the database part, and then you can do the same with Umbraco 10, to migrate to latest 10 (it maybe possible now to go straight to V10, there was an issue before, but I have seen a fix, but haven't tried it myself yet)

Anyway that gets your database, and content and DocTypes etc all in the new database format.

But your existing implementation, Controllers etc, are written against the .NET Framework v4.8 and Umbraco V10 works on .NET Core aka v6 (and V12 is .NET Core aka v7)

So these do need to be updated to the new syntax. The docs.umbraco.com site has some good examples of all the bits that have subtlety changed...

eg controllers now look like this:

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/implementation/default-routing/controller-selection

And Dot Net Core introduces some new ways to render things, eg a ViewComponent:

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/reference/templating/mvc/viewcomponents

would replace a Child Action Surface Controller etc...

basically lots of cheese has moved, so it's a migration rather than an upgrade.

regards

Marc

• Linx 98 posts 258 karma points
    Jun 29, 2023 @ 21:01
    Linx

Hi Marc

Thanks for that info.

Are you suggesting to first start with Umbraco 9 upgrade so the existing controllers will work in the current state as it's compatible with .Net 4.8 but gives the option to upgrade the database to the new format?

This would mean I could still upgrade to Umbraco 10 later once I've had time to convert the controllers to the new version?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jun 29, 2023 @ 21:52
    Marc Goodson

Hi Linx

No, v8 is the last version of Umbraco that works with. Net Framework, anything above V8 will require you to update your controllers to work with. NET Core!

The V9 step is purely part of the migration process to ensure all the database migrations work.

So for each version of Umbraco there is a chance that a new feature requires an update to the database schema, migrations run to make these changes, when you point the updated version of Umbraco at your database.

But as time goes on it increases the chance of a database migration to be reliant on another migration having run, and new migrations only really get tested for moving from the previous version, so if you are going from 8 to 10, by going to 9 first it just increases the chances of the migrations running successfully...

But it's just a step in the migration process to 10, you don't implement the site in v9 and go live with it, you Only implement in the final version you are migrating to.

Regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft