Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sérgio 30 posts 171 karma points
    Jun 30, 2023 @ 17:26
    Sérgio

Upgrading from 11 to 12 issues: installation page tries to create new DB

I tried to upgrade from 11.40 to 12.00 but I get directed to the installation page. It says there are pre-set database settings (so it's reading from the config file) but it tries to create a new database under the same name instead of upgrading it.

Did anyone else find the same issue? I eventually reverted to 11.40 and upgraded to 11.41.

• Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Jun 30, 2023 @ 18:56
    Jason

Hey Sérgio,

I have seen this with other upgrades (v9+). If it cannot connect to the database even if there is a configured connection string the setup screen will be displayed. For me it is always a database firewall rule that block access to the database when I am not on our VPN.

Jun 30, 2023 @ 18:59
    Sérgio

Hello Jason. Thanks for pitching in.

I got another error before this one, related to the SSL so I had to do some changes on the connection string.

It's very odd that everything works on 11, yet on 12 this happens. It doesn't make sense to me.

• Mike Chadwick 41 posts 182 karma points
    Jul 03, 2023 @ 12:00
    Mike Chadwick

Hi,

You will need to export your self-signed localhost SSL certificate from

Certificates - Current User\Trusted Root Certification Authorities\Certificates and import it into the Local Computer Trusted Root Certification folder.

When you export choose No - do not include private key and choose to export in format DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER) format.

Then you need to open: Certificates - Local Computer\Trusted Root Certification Authorities\Certificates

right click, select import and choose the file you exported.

Also add the following parameters to your connectionstring: ;TrustServerCertificate=True;Connection Timeout=3600

We also got timeout issues when upgrading on Azure WebApps, the above solved it.

Hope that helps, thanks,

Mike

Jul 03, 2023 @ 12:11
    Sérgio

Thanks, Mike. I'll give it a try. Did you also get that initial installation screen when upgrading? That's one thing that's throwing me off here as well. I find it odd.

• Mike Chadwick 41 posts 182 karma points
    Jul 03, 2023 @ 12:16
    Mike Chadwick

Yes, its because the standard self-signed SSL certificate it generates and uses for .net core dev gets stored only in the trusted user certificates store, sql server requires a local computer(machine) trusted certificate.

So when you request the database using the user certificate it tries to authenticate the ssl cert but it fails as it can't find it in the store sql server looks in and therefore it can't see your database at all and tries to create a new one.

If you add any info on that screen and click next it will fail with the SSL error.

Jul 08, 2023 @ 13:41
    Sérgio

Thank you very much, Mike. Your suggestion worked great. I appreciate your time and your help. Thank you.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft