Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Felix Byrd 1 post 71 karma points
    Jul 03, 2023 @ 10:44
    Felix Byrd

Is this possible to do parsing a Word or PDF document?

Hello,

I am not sure Is this possible or not but want to know If it is possible or not but I would ask. I have a word document and I would like to parse and save the content into specific fields.

The word document has 5 sections like Shift, Descriptions, Requirements, Location and Apply info and I would want to content to be mapped automatically to the respective fields when I upload the file. Any help would be appreciated.

• Huw Reddick 1749 posts 6114 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 04, 2023 @ 15:56
    Huw Reddick

Hi Felix,

I am not aware of anything that would currently do this, so you would need to implement your own custom solution to do this

• UCP 8 posts 98 karma points
    1 week ago
    UCP

Hi Felix!

Parsing and automatically mapping content from a Word document into specific Umbraco fields isn't supported out of the box and will require some custom development. Here's a concise guide on how you can implement this:

1. File Upload: First, integrate a file upload mechanism in your Umbraco backoffice. This allows users to upload Word documents directly through the CMS.

2. Parsing the Document: Utilize a .NET library like DocX or Aspose.Words to parse the uploaded Word document. These libraries can read and extract content from the document. You can find more about DocX here and Aspose.Words here.

3. Mapping Content: Write custom code to map the extracted content to specific fields in your Umbraco content nodes. This involves programmatically creating or updating content nodes based on the sections identified in your document.

4. Save the Data: Save these nodes within Umbraco to retain the mapped content in your CMS.

By integrating these steps into your Umbraco site, you can automate the process of content entry from Word documents to specific content fields, enhancing both productivity and content management efficiency.

If you're not familiar with custom development in .NET, you might consider consulting with a developer who has experience with Umbraco and .NET frameworks. This will ensure the implementation aligns well with your existing infrastructure and meets your specific needs efficiently.

Best regards, UCP

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft