Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Jul 04, 2023 @ 22:47
    Meni

Can Umbraco team please post instructions on how to upgrade from V11 to V12 on Azure?

When I tried to upgrade on Azure I got this at my home page:

HTTP Error 500.30 - ASP.NET Core app failed to start Common solutions to this issue: The app failed to start The app started but then stopped The app started but threw an exception during startup Troubleshooting steps: Check the system event log for error messages Enable logging the application process' stdout messages Attach a debugger to the application process and inspect

Would be helpful if Umbraco team will post instructions on how to upgrade to 12 without having website down.

Thanks

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 10, 2023 @ 07:38
    Huw Reddick

Is there anything in the Umbraco logs that might indicate what the problem is?

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Jul 10, 2023 @ 16:42
    Meni

I’m not sure yet. Still analyzing.

Long story short - last week I upgraded my website locally from U11 to U12. Had a small issue (Umbraco tried to create a new database) which someone here in the forum helped me resolve quickly (by changing the connection string), then once I had U12 running locally I tried to upgrade my website.

I did dotnet publish, then copied the publish folder to my ftp, and here the problems started - bottom line, for one week my website is unavailable.

Few observations:

Could be that the issue happened because I didn’t delete the wwwroot, rather I just choosed “override existing files” in FileZilla.

However, this also might not be the issue, as yesterday I created another slot in my Azure , dev slot, and I tried to do a fresh deployment , and still got the same error.

The main issue on the kudu console (in production) is that it seems that Umbraco is keep looking for bouncycastle.crypto, version=1.9.0.0 , so I tried to download bouncycastle manually and copy the dll via ftp - still didn’t help. My website is still unavailable.

Another issue is the 32/64 bit which I tried to switch between - still not working.

Bottom line: Last week my website was available, running V11.3 Then locally I was able to upgrade to 12.

Then once I did dotnet publish and copied the files to my ftp - since then my website is unavailable. My advertisers banners are not showing, and I can’t send the newsletter to my readers.

I also tried to downgrade back to U11, and my website is still unavailable.

This is not the first time that my website is unavailable for many days because of Umbraco upgrade issues …

Last time it happened I finally setup my website locally, started do the development locally and only after verified everything works locally, only then deploy.

Now it seems that this also not “protecting” my website, so now I also created another lower region - dev and maybe I’ll consider also create qa and xat before I deploy to production in the future (until now I always worked / updated production directly - probably not the “best” idea…).

But this is very frustrating that it happening constantly with Umbraco. I’m also kind of “stuck” with Umbraco as I’m using it to manage my website for almost 10 years, so migrating now the database to Wordpress is a lot of work. But with my other websites that I run on Wordpress I don’t have these issues. Every time they have a new version I just click upgrade and in a few minutes the website is running again on the latest version.

But with Umbraco my website sometimes is not available for days and sometimes even for weeks.

So therefore I asked if Umbraco team can post a clear instructions on how to Upgrade to version 12 without having the website unavailable

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft