Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gary Williams 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 11, 2023 @ 04:10
    Gary Williams

Building Umbraco to investigate bug

After getting my site running on 10, I ran into this bug: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/14507

I thought, well, since I got such great help from some forum members, why not investigate and see about fixing this bug?

So I got the v10/main branch from git, then followed these instructions to set the version to the same version that my site was built against (10.5.1).

Well first off, the build PowerShell script failed for me

PS D:\src\github\Umbraco-CMS> $build.Build()
    Set environment
    Restore NuGet
    Logging to D:\src\github\Umbraco-CMS\build.tmp\nuget.restore.log
    MethodInvocationException: Exception calling "Build" with "0" argument(s): "Exception calling "RestoreNuGet" with "0" argument(s): "Failed to restore NuGet packages.""
    PS D:\src\github\Umbraco-CMS>

so I built it with Visual Studio Code. Copied the relevant assembly (Umbraco.Web.BackOffice.dll) to a copy of my web site, but it did not completely work.

So my question is this, what is the typical way of building Umbraco and testing? Do I "dotnet Umbraco.web.WebSite" to start an instance, and go through the installation process?

Looking to help, and to give back for the help I received!

• Marc Goodson 2149 posts 14377 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Jul 11, 2023 @ 11:48
    Marc Goodson

Hi Gary

Eeek, It looks like those build instructions are out of date!

But a more up-to-date version is on the V10/contrib branch

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/contrib/.github/BUILD.md

but you wouldn't know about the contrib branch without reading those instructions!

If this set of build instructions work for you, then maybe opportunity for first PR is to update the V10/main branch build instructions to match!!

good luck

regards

Marc

• Gary Williams 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 12, 2023 @ 04:13
    Gary Williams

Hi Marc, so I figured out the problem in the v10/dev branch. Looks like someone fixed it a little differently in the contrib branch. It was a sequencing issue in the JavaScript.

Two questions here: if I were to create a PR for the v10/dev branch, it looks like I do not have permissions to publish to Umbraco/Umbraco-CMS.

The second question, since this was in a JavaScript file (umbfiledropzone.directive.js), I rebuilt locally, which produced umbraco.directives.min.js. I copied that to my website to fix my problem locally, but that file is not getting picked up, because there is another file /sb/umbraco-backoffice-js.js.vec64d5eb5bc440029b950ab42e5a9e447b152c57 that is not on the file system, and Ctrl-F% is not updating with my changes. How do I update the site to apply the changed JavaScript? I cleared out the Smidge cache but still did not pick up the changes.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft