Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Rud 232 posts 902 karma points c-trib
    Jul 13, 2023 @ 10:17
    Martin Rud

Have Umbraco 11.3.1: Upgrade to 11.4.2 or 12.0.1 in the light of todays security patch?

Hi,

I have a 11.3.1 installation and would like to patch it due to this message: https://umbraco.com/blog/security-advisory-july-13-2023-security-patches-for-umbraco-cms-are-available/

I can stay on my current major, 11, and upgrade to 11.4.2 and patch. Or go up to 12.0.1 and patch from there.

I would advice my customer to get the upgrade but is it worth going to 12.0.1 now that we are going to do some upgrade work? Or is it not worth the extra work?

I have some custom code (UmbracoApiControllers) but not much and not advanced (handling custom forms, sending mail and subcribing to CampaignMonitor).

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2023 @ 11:10
    Anders Bjerner

Currently speaking, either should be fine 😉

But Umbraco 11 has EOL in December, whereas Umbraco 12 has EOL by the end of June next year. So while you're upgrading, you might as well upgrade to 12.0.1.

Umbraco 12 does however have a few breaking changes - you can read more about those here:

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/fundamentals/setup/upgrading/version-specific#umbraco-12

Likely it's not anything affecting your site.

• Martin Rud 232 posts 902 karma points c-trib
    Jul 13, 2023 @ 11:48
    Martin Rud

Thanks. So in other words: The "new" way of Umbraco versioning with news majors twice a year one should upgrade pretty often and seldom see new majors as something special?

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2023 @ 12:39
    Anders Bjerner

Something like that. Most majors can be seen as how Umbraco had minor releases like with Umbraco 8 and earlier.

As an agency, we and our clients prefer staying on Umbraco 10 as it's a LTS. I don't think Umbraco 13 (also LTS) will have any significant breaking changes, so we'll wait upgrading to another major until that is out, thereby skipping 11 and 12.

As a package developer I haven't seen any breaking changes that have affected my packages when upgrading them to 11 and 12.

Umbraco 14 will however have a lot of breaking changes - eg. with the new backoffice.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft