Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    Aug 02, 2023 @ 14:43
    Simon Justesen

Umbraco 12 on EF Core/MySQL

Back in the early days Umbraco worked with MySQL. And worked remarkably well, at least for my use-case, not sure the core team agrees ;-).

I have this dream that now that Umbraco runs on EF Core it could happen again, maybe even extend the list of providers to Postgres as well.

Is there any on-going work in that field?

/ Simon

• Jukka-Pekka Keisala 90 posts 226 karma points
    Aug 06, 2023 @ 11:05
    Jukka-Pekka Keisala

If I remember correctly, while ago someone did mention support for alternative databases, including nosql, as a storage option. I would be interested in hearing why it isn't possible to use MySQL or PostgreSQL today. Is it the way we connect to the database that is SQL Server specific? Because it doesn't look like we have any stored procedures in SQL that are Microsoft specific.

Aug 06, 2023 @ 21:22
    Simon Justesen

Maybe someone from the core team can supply some details, but as far as I recall it was due to a low amount of MySQL-users, so it (probably) wasn't feasible to put programming hours into providing a stable MySQL-experience.

I've started creating a provider for MySQL, which is basically just a copy of one of the existing ones. Right now, it does compile, but Umbraco doesn't pick it up in the installer, so I can't see what's going on at runtime yet. Need to spend a little more time to sort it out (but I'm having a blast reading source code).

https://github.com/sjustesen/Umbraco-CMS/tree/contrib/src/Umbraco.Cms.Persistence.EFCore.MySql
    https://github.com/sjustesen/Umbraco-CMS/tree/contrib/src/Umbraco.Cms.Persistence.MySql

• Jukka-Pekka Keisala 90 posts 226 karma points
    Aug 07, 2023 @ 07:24
    Jukka-Pekka Keisala

This is a great initiative and I appreciate your efforts to create a new provider !

I am ready to test your provider at a later point, once you have sorted out the installation issue. Just shoot a reply here so I get notification.

• Sławomir 4 posts 76 karma points
    Aug 08, 2023 @ 20:01
    Sławomir

That's super cool. I have some cheap VPS server with linux on board where I'm deploying umbraco application. It works perfectly fine on machine with 1,86 GB RAM but with sqlite, and I'm worry to run this as production on SQLite database.

I've managed to run MSSQL with docker but it stopped working at some point because of less than 2GB RAM.

Would be perfect if I could run Umbraco on MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Aug 10, 2023 @ 01:26
    Simon Justesen

Yeah, MSSQL is pretty happy to consume any amount of ressources, you are able to throw at it. :-D

I'd love to see Umbraco run on PostgreSQL as well. It's so insanely cool to finally be able to run Umbraco on Linux, so a logical next step would be to support most major database servers out there.

• Damien Holley 179 posts 540 karma points
    Oct 29, 2023 @ 02:56
    Damien Holley

I am looking into replacing the SQL system in Umbraco with NoSQL.

Realm specifically, so you could theoretically use Mongo in a cloud scenario.

But the SQL seems very tightly coupled in the logic of the system and it involves modifying a pretty much every service.

NoSQL should do incredibly well as Umbraco treats all it's nodes and data as objects to begin with, so we should see a massive increase in speed as we won't be having to join multiple tables just to get a simple node.

So I'll be doing it some time, but it will take a while due to the tightly coupled nature of how umbraco has been made.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft