Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Aug 03, 2023 @ 12:27
    Rob Watkins

Get member property description to display in RegisterMember macro

Got the registration all working perfectly, but I want to display the description for a custom member property on the form as help text; I can't see a way of doing that as the MemberPropertyModel doesn't have much on it?

<div class="register-field">
        @Html.LabelFor(m => registerModel.MemberProperties[i].Value, registerModel.MemberProperties[i].Name)
        **@registerModel.MemberProperties[i].Description**  THIS BIT DOESN'T WORK
        <input asp-for="@registerModel.MemberProperties[i].Value" class="form-control" />
        @Html.HiddenFor(m => registerModel.MemberProperties[i].Alias)
        <span asp-validation-for="@registerModel.MemberProperties[i].Value" class="form-text text-danger"></span>
    </div>

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 03, 2023 @ 14:46
    Huw Reddick

Hi Rob,

You could inject the IMemberTypeService and do the following

var membertype = memberTypeService.Get("YOURMEMBERTYPEALIAS");
                    var desc = membertype.PropertyTypes.First(p => p.Alias == "propertyAlias").Description;

Aug 03, 2023 @ 14:49
    Huw Reddick

personally I wouldn't do this :)

I would add a string to the dictionary and use that, the property descriptions are really meant for telling back office users about the property rather than displaying in the front-end

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Aug 03, 2023 @ 15:11
    Rob Watkins

Great, thanks! That works. Went to Translation, created a dictionary item to identify the string by the property type alias (e.g. Help/Registration/nickname) and add this to the loop that gets the custom properties:

string help = Umbraco.GetDictionaryValue("Help/Registration/" +  registerModel.MemberProperties[i].Name);

if(!String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(help))
        {
            <div class="register-help">
               @help
            </div>
        }

Aug 03, 2023 @ 15:43
    Huw Reddick

Exactly what I do :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: