Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Aug 08, 2023 @ 11:25
    Rob Watkins

umbraco.cms.staticassets issue

Okay, I'm really stuck on this one.

I have a project for an Umbraco 12 site, which I am building then deploying to a web server.

However, every build it generates a MyApp.staticwebassets.runtime.json file containing the current local user:

"ContentRoots":["C:\\Users\\Rob\\.nuget\\packages\\umbraco.cms.staticassets\\12.0.1\\staticwebassets\\"]

When I deploy, the app fails to start with a 500.30 error, and the stdout log is:

Unhandled exception. System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: C:\Users\Rob\.nuget\packages\umbraco.cms.staticassets\12.0.1\staticwebassets\
       at Microsoft.Extensions.FileProviders.PhysicalFileProvider..ctor(String root, ExclusionFilters filters)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.StaticWebAssets.StaticWebAssetsLoader.<>c.<UseStaticWebAssetsCore>b__1_0(String contentRoot)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.StaticWebAssets.ManifestStaticWebAssetFileProvider..ctor(StaticWebAssetManifest manifest, Func`2 fileProviderFactory)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.StaticWebAssets.StaticWebAssetsLoader.UseStaticWebAssetsCore(IWebHostEnvironment environment, Stream manifest)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.StaticWebAssets.StaticWebAssetsLoader.UseStaticWebAssets(IWebHostEnvironment environment, IConfiguration configuration)
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostBuilder.InitializeAppConfiguration()
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostBuilder.Build()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Hosting.UmbracoHostBuilderDecorator.Build()
       at MyApp.Program.Main(String[] args) in X:\Src\MS.NET\MyApp\MyApp\Program.cs:line 11

I installed Umbraco using the command line tools and it all worked fine, but I need to extend it, so built the solution and in VS and now it won't start.

What am I doing wrong?!

Aug 08, 2023 @ 11:30
    Rob Watkins

If I comment out webBuilder.UseStaticWebAssets(); from Program.cs it works but ... that must be there for a reason right?

Aug 09, 2023 @ 07:35
    Rob Watkins

Having researched UseStaticWebAssets it seems it's only of use in development and I think I just don't need it for my build and deployment process. Everything works anyway.

• Silviu 2 posts 72 karma points
    Oct 06, 2023 @ 04:03
    Silviu

I am having kind of the same problem when trying to create a docker image. However, commenting out webBuilder.UseStaticAssets does not work for me. I do not have this file either: MyApp.staticwebassets.runtime.json. Where should I look these static assets? Thanks

• bh 408 posts 1395 karma points
    Nov 28, 2023 @ 18:08
    bh

I had this same error on a v11.2 site.

For me, I noticed that the Publish process was throwing an error in the output window and then reporting a successful publish. When in fact the publish was not successful. The error was "unable to remove directory \obj\Release\net7.0\PubTmp\Out\". I went in and manually removed that folder and re-published the site and that did the trick. Hope this helps someone else.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft