Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• danimarpe 6 posts 96 karma points
    Aug 10, 2023 @ 07:48
    danimarpe

Error in RichTextPreValueController: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

After several days of work, I've just finished updating Umbraco from v7 to 8.18.8.

My site seems to work fine, but everytime I open any node in the backoffice I get an error screen with this message:

Unhandled controller exception occurred for request '"http://localhost:52534/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/RichTextPreValue/GetConfiguration"'

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
           en Umbraco.Web.PropertyEditors.RichTextPreValueController.EnsureInit() en D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Web\PropertyEditors\RichTextPreValueController.cs:línea 57
           en Umbraco.Web.PropertyEditors.RichTextPreValueController.GetConfiguration() en D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Web\PropertyEditors\RichTextPreValueController.cs:línea 28
           en lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
           en System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass6_2.<GetExecutor>b__2(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
           en System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.Execute(Object instance, Object[] arguments)
           en System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

Does anyone knows what is happening? Should I ignore it? In that case, is there any way of hiding this message?

• Chris Shields 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 15, 2023 @ 18:09
    Chris Shields

Hi @danimarpe, did you manage to solve this? I am seeing the same issue after migrating from v7 to v8.

• danimarpe 6 posts 96 karma points
    Aug 16, 2023 @ 10:30
    danimarpe

Actually, I did.

The problem was with the TinyMce package configuration.

Basically, the update of Umbraco also does an update of this package, which is the one that manages the RichText control that was causing the problem. The issue here, and I think this is a problem with the Umbraco update which they should solve, is that the update of the TinyMce doesn't update the TinyMce configuration file.

So, at the end, you would end with an old configuration file with plenty old stuff that is broken since they have changed that configuration system with every update of the package.

What I did to solve the problem:

1. I downloaded a vanilla Umbraco 8 from here.
    2. I found the tinyMce config file in config/tinyMceConfig.config.
    3. I copied the content of this vanilla file over my file in my project.
    4. Rebuilt and it worked.

In my case I did not have any specific configuration in the tinyMceConfig apart from the basic that comes with the installation, your case might be different.

• Chris Shields 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 16, 2023 @ 10:56
    Chris Shields

That worked perfectly, thank you!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft